What's new

Can't find sleep mode option?

ZachBui

Do you guys see any option for sleep mode. I checked everywhere in power options but couldn't find it

Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Power Management or from the Power Button? Sleep is an option from the Power Button, Power Management has no options because it is a Connected Standby enabled machine, without hacks you won't have legacy power management options....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you enabled the Hyper-V role or loaded Visual Studio? If yes, to either (VS adds the Hyper-V role by default) then Connected Standby is disabled as well as Sleep, your only choice is Hibernate or remove the Hyper-V role.

Personally I'm going to use my Azure MSDN benefit and build my VMs there...

dleuen

I just learned that visual studio enables hyper v the hard way and uninstalling vs does not disable hyper v. Sometimes you have to wonder what MS is thinking. At least a little warning would have been nice before installing an IDE significantly reconfigures my system.

Arnieaz

Jeff, do all VS's enable Hyper-vs or just 13? It causes my wifi to fail on restarts! I have to turn wifi off and back on each time!
If that's the case, i'll probably return my pro 3!

OP
ZachBui

ZachBui

Have you enabled the Hyper-V role or loaded Visual Studio? If yes, to either (VS adds the Hyper-V role by default) then Connected Standby is disabled as well as Sleep, your only choice is Hibernate or remove the Hyper-V role.

Personally I'm going to use my Azure MSDN benefit and build my VMs there...

thank you, I didn't know that about hyperV =)

dleuen

Jeff, do all VS's enable Hyper-vs or just 13? It causes my wifi to fail on restarts! I have to turn wifi off and back on each time!
If that's the case, i'll probably return my pro 3!

Good question. Along with disabling sleep mode, VS and Hyper-V also broke my WiFi as you mentioned. Bottom line, don't install VS on a Surface.

Brian Blaylock

I've had the same problem...no sleep option on my Surface. After hours of research I learned that installing Visual Studio caused the problem. Simply uninstalling it didn't fix it. The best way to fix it is to reset the surface to facotry settings and DONT install Visual Studio.

diddy_p

Hi guys, just picked up on this thread and thought i'd post this solution.

basically disabling hyper-v or uninstalling visual studio for some reason doesn't actually set the feature switches in Windows correctly, leaving sleep and hibernate disabled.

however you can force the change using PowerShell as an Admin user and running the following command and restart when prompted...:
Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V-All

Good luck!