What's new

Can't get on-screen keyboard in Firefox

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've started using firefox but unfortunately when I use it in tablet mode with type cover removed or folded back I can't get the onscreen keyboard to appear at all. Weirdly there's no keyboard icon available in the task bar to manually bring it up either. When I re-snap the type cover on the on-screen keyboard icon DOES appear in the taskbar!!

The on-screen keyboard is popping up in Edge in tablet mode.

Surface pro 3, Win 10, Firefox 42.0, Surface pro 4 type cover...

Help!

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
ah just noticed if I switch to desktop mode I can get the on screen keyboard to appear, but that's a bit of a pain!

ctitanic

And what's wrong with Edge? I have been using it and still a little un-mature but at the same to me fast and good enough.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was getting poor battery life and fan running, so I thought id give another browser a try after seeing posts on her about Edge causing some problems. Also a really annoying and constant problem when writing comments on posts on facebook it would duplicate text and remove spaces in the comment box! Happened all the time to me but I haven't heard anyone else complain of the same thing.

Since I switched to Firefox I only heard the fan run briefly once so it does seem improved.

ctitanic

I was getting poor battery life and fan running, so I thought id give another browser a try after seeing posts on her about Edge causing some problems. Also a really annoying and constant problem when writing comments on posts on facebook it would duplicate text and remove spaces in the comment box! Happened all the time to me but I haven't heard anyone else complain of the same thing.

Since I switched to Firefox I only heard the fan run briefly once so it does seem improved.
I have the issues described by you on Facebook page. No big deal to me. Those issues are not present if you use the App but I have noticed that Facebook is a battery sucker.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've started using firefox but unfortunately when I use it in tablet mode with type cover removed or folded back I can't get the onscreen keyboard to appear at all. Weirdly there's no keyboard icon available in the task bar to manually bring it up either. When I re-snap the type cover on the on-screen keyboard icon DOES appear in the taskbar!!

The on-screen keyboard is popping up in Edge in tablet mode.

Surface pro 3, Win 10, Firefox 42.0, Surface pro 4 type cover...

Help!

Right click on the taskbar when in tablet mode ;) all shall be revealed.

as to keyboard being called up. Seems things are still hit and miss from one piece of software to the next. Take chrome as an example. Works just great, but if i try and enter a text field with the pen, no keyboard, no handwriting tab. Even windows has issues with bringing up the keyboard. Occasionally i will get a domain name/password popup window for no reason when the thing sees my university networks, and i have to manually call up the keyboard to type in the fields. A little embarrassing when even the OS has trouble working out what you want/need

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the issues described by you on Facebook page. No big deal to me. Those issues are not present if you use the App but I have noticed that Facebook is a battery sucker.
I don't like using the app as it's so limited and I nearly always use my SP3 with the keyboard, but the typing problem in edge browser for commenting on Facebook is a major driver of making me go to another browser.

Looking at battery report for the last charge it's back to 6 hours since using Firefox. So I'm happy with that as it's back where it was when I used to use IE app before trying Edge and Chrome. I definitely notice that the fan is running WAY less. I've heard it once in the last couple of days where before it would always be randomly going on and off.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you right click using your finger? Two finger tap?

Hold your finger down. You'll see an opaque square form to indicate it is performing a righ click. Then just let go and the menu will pop up. Not having app icons on the taskbar is just absurd in tablet mode. Alternatively use a mouse, or the pen. You could also just have the keyboard attached (if you have one) and put the thing in tablet mode and do it with the keyboard.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just found the setting for app icons shows how often I use the tablet mode

Haha, it really is bizarre that they are set to Off by default. Especially app icons. I personally find that "running app" windows like on all mobile devices to be completely inefficient. Even in tablet mode taskbar icons are by far the best way to go. I guess MS are still grumpy about people not wanting everything in tablet mode to run full screen and function via swipes and touch like on ios/android :) Here's a hint Microsoft, the very reason the surface pro line has been so well received is because it ISN'T a dumb inneficient mobile operating system.