What's new

Cant get skydrive app to work

Rickie

I've been trying this for days, having been unable to get Dropbox to work, my usual cloud, I've succumbed to Sky Drive but on transferring everything over, nothing is there! Well the folders are there but nothing contained within. It says I haven't enough space to upload, but of course its empty. I live entirely in the cloud so thought S2 would be perfect. Otherwise I love it! Any been able to solve this one?

Last edited:

hotphil

Have a search around Microsoft's support forums - SkyDrive is very broken for a helluva lot of folk. There's many, many threads about SkyDrive reporting insufficient space and even more about the synchronization being broken and online/offline settings being reset after each reboot. It's a mess atm. It's been a few months so hopefully they'll fix it soon.

I have the same problem, I have not used my surface 2 for over a week and when I started it today I found that I don't have new emails in my inbox and no access to the SkyDrive storage. I got a message that I need to check my Microsoft loggin account ??? When I try to do that my MS account page does not load at all and no error messages either. What is going on? I had this Surface 2 since its launch day and never had any issue with it. Some web pages that have account information do not load as well. Am I the only one with this problem or this is something being fixed by Microsoft?

OP
R

Rickie

Oddly, enough, files started appearing in my folders today, which is where I need to access them, so we'll see if they all show and if they all then sync!

OP
R

Rickie

I just get the 'not enough space' when I look at the app, even though all the space is there!

After calling Microsoft support today I discovered that Surface 2 can access some web pages and not others. The network connection shows "Connected" and I can surface the web except any web site that has account information or user profile stored (e.g. Amazon or eBay). I was advised to change my Microsoft account password which I did but same results and no access to email or account settings. After a 2 hours call I was told to restore the factory settings and start all over from scratch. Now I have done that but Mr. Surface still refuses my Microsoft account and offers a local account to the Surface. I don't have email or SkyDrive and can only access few web site. I am not sure what else to do at this point.

hotphil

How are you connecting the Surface to the internet? Could it be that you're behind a proxy/firewall/other device that is restricting access to https sites? That'd be my first thought. Hook it up to another internet connection on which you know https sites can be accessed and see if the behaviour is the same.

Last edited:
How are you connecting the Surface to the internet? Could it be that you're behind a proxy/firewall/other device that is restricting access to https sites? That'd be my first though. Hook it up to another internet connection on which you know https sites can be accessed and see if the behaviour is the same.

Thanks very much hotphil for your suggestion. I determined that this was the problem after I changed the router and tried a different one. The root cause was a firewall application (IoBit) that I installed last week on my laptop that seems to have cause this issue, although my laptop worked fine no issues but it seems that the firewall has restricted https sites to my laptop only for no reason without warnings and I was not able to login to my Microsoft account using the Surface 2. I decided to uninstall IoBit firewall and switch to a different router and now Surface was able to login to Microsoft account, SkyDrive, and all the previous web sites I was not able to access. If I return back to my first router, do I need to make any changes to the settings to ensure it does not block the Surface 2? I will not re-install the firewall software.

Thanks very much for your useful hint / suggestion, as I was about to return my Surface 2 to the Microsoft store to be replaced :(

hotphil

That sounds like a slightly odd setup. I don't know IoBit, but I can't see how running it on another device would affect Surface internet connection (unless the Surface is connecting to the laptop for internet connection sharing or something similar). Sounds like the problem may be your first router.
Hook the laptop and Surface both up the first router. Test access to a site you've had trouble with from both devices. If there's an issue on both, you may need to dive into the router settings. It probably has a built-in firewall that may be doing something strange.

You are right, I guess I am not a tech savvy when it comes to setting routers and networks. When I returned the original router back I can access the web pages with my laptop but the Surface 2 is limited to some web pages and not all, any web page that needs user credentials (login) do not work on the Surface 2 but work normally on the laptop connected to the same router. Having tried a different router last night both laptop and Surface 2 worked fine and both access the net. The router is a D-Link router and has a DMZ feature to set up the Surface 2 but still does not work.
I need to post this problem to the D-link forum to see if someone can help me setup the router properly, I am just wondering why this happened all of a sudden as I had the Surface 2 on the same network and had no problem before. If I replace the router the problem is solved but I need to understand why.