What's new

Can't install Boxcryptor on Windows 8.1 Surface Pro 2

DW!

Hello,

after I downloaded Boxcryptor_v2.0.413.343_Setup.msi on my Surface Pro 2 and tried to install it I received an error message: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." Therefore I am not able to install Boxcryptor... What can I do?

Anybody who already was able to install this application succesful on the Surface Pro 2? The Boxcryptor Helpdesk seems to be very slow or still on holiday... Anyhow I would like to start storing my data on SkyDrive but I also would like to encrypt the more sensitive folders - and BoxCryptor looked promising...

Regards,
DW!

reach

sorry, never heard about boxcryptor, but have you ever tried truecrypt? Its open source, free and AFAIK 100% safe (as safe as things can be these days...) We use it in the company and I use it private every day.

OP
D

DW!

AFAIK... Truecrypt creates volumes which needs to be defined upfront with a certain size and if I only modify a small file everything needs to be replaced in the cloud... yes I want to encrypt my files on SkyDrive... and BoxCryptop (see https://www.boxcryptor.com/) encrypts file-based... much more efficient for cloud-based usage. But as nobody seems to be ablt to help me I now contacted their supprt (sending them a log file) - let's see what they will reply...

OP
D

DW!

@habitats: did you download the desktop classic 1.x version directly from the boxcryptor homepage or did you use the MS Store to download the Metro App - and if so, was it this one: BoxCryptor - as there is no version indication?

bluegrass

I haven't felt any need to encrypt any of my data, but if I did, I think I would use bit locker, which Microsoft includes with Windows 8.

smar

You may need to run the installer with admin rights. Right click on the msi package, and choose "Run as Administrator".

OP
D

DW!

@bluegrass: AFAIK is bitlocker for local drives (but I let correct me) - trucrypt can be used either locally or on networks / in the cloud - as well as boxcryptor... and due to the encrypt-files-an-not-volumes-functionality I would like to use boxcryptor...

@smar: thanks for the tip... indeed I have thought of that as well but apparently installing as admin is only possible with exe-files and not with msi-files... don't know why...

Last edited:

smar

You can get around that by opening a command shell as administrator, and then running the installable msi from the command line.

OP
D

DW!

@smar: great that was it - thank you very much... now I was able to install boxcryptor 2.0!

Btw. I wrote to the boxcryptor helpdesk in parallal and received a very disappointing because not working "solution": "Can you install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4, I assume that should fix the installer problem. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679." That did't help at all. But running cmd as admin and then installing the msi-file worked! Case closed.

Now I need to make myself familiar with the settings etc., test boxcryptor until I am satiesfied and then buy the version where I also can encrypt the filenames...

Regards,
DW!