What's new

can't pair nokia lumia 928 to surface pro

Mcfly

Anyone else tried this? I've tried every which way and no go. It will pair initially but it immediately disconnects. I've tried deleting both, restarting, re-paired nothing works. I also applied the new marvel bt update, still no go. My ms wedge mouse works fine and I have paired my phone to other devices but these two just don't like each other.

CrippsCorner

My girlfriend has a Lumia 920 which I'm sure works in the same way. I'll give it a go when she comes round in the week and report back!

duanewillis

I have a 920 & Surface Pro too, and the same exact thing happens to me every time.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Rvacha

I have a 920 and I've never had an issue with either the SP1 or SP2. Pretty remarkable given all my other WiFi issues...

OP
M

Mcfly

Hmm, yes, I'm sure the 928 and 920 are basically the same...
So far in this post it's 2 to 1 that it won't work. Still haven't figured it out???

oion

Disclaimer: I've never used bluetooth, but this post on the MS boards includes some instruction--is this how you did it? This is on 8.0, however.

On the plus side, I am near my Lumia and Surface now. I can transfer individual appropriate files back and forth over BT. Did a picture and an Office document both ways. Two tricks. Phone must be in the BT settings panel to be visible to Surface. On Surface, in the desktop, in the system tray (bottom right) clicking the BT icon, or up triangle and BT icon, gives you a menu that includes send or receive. Must select receive here before the phone will see the Surface when trying to send from the Share menu, in pictures or Office.

CrippsCorner

Oh! Bugger... I tried this last night without properly reading the OP obviously, I thought your issue was to do with tethering, which worked perfectly. Sorry, back to the drawing board.

OP
M

Mcfly

Well I just noticed mine is actually working even though it says not connected. At least somewhat... phone to surface: no. If I select share/Bluetooth/surface, error: "The device you're trying to send to doesn't support sharing over Bluetooth.". If I try from the surface, desktop/right-click Bluetooth/send a file, it lets me browse and send.

Another biggie...I CAN TETHER MY PHONE CONNECTION! On the phone: settings/internet sharing/turn On. Then on the PC, check Wireless Access Point available connections and use the details in Internet Sharing to connect to it. Works like a charm. All this with the Bluetooth connection showing not connected???

thedicemaster

that tethering option most likely runs through wifi.
it's also quite normal if another smart/host device disconnects right after pairing, they disconnect automatically when they have nothing to talk about.
if you transfer something they will connect for a moment, but they will disconnect again once done.
the default bluetooth stack also has protection(as mentioned before) to prevent people from sending files without your knowledge, you will have to open the "receive file" wizard which can be accessed by right-clicking or long-pressing the bluetooth logo in the desktop view.

you'll have the exact same results with almost any other phone, PC, tablet, laptop, or game computer.

OP
M

Mcfly

The receive file option does not work for me only send file (and while showing the Bluetooth connection not connected).

And the Bluetooth disconnects immediately regardless.

Rvacha

I use a WiFi connection when running my 920 internet sharing so I can't speak of BT here. Like others here I cannot keep a BT connection... with one exception. I have installed MS's new Office Remote app which turns your WP8 into a PowerPoint remote control. When enabled my 920 will stay connected forever, no problem.

On a side note the app is really nice if you do frequent PowerPoint presentations. The phone displays the current slide, forward & back buttons, and a virtual laser pointer