What's new

Capacitive Start not Working

hopmedic

Hello, all. Just found this forum while searching for the answer... I've got a SP2 and suddenly I've noticed that the capacitive start button has stopped working. I presume it happened after the updates last week on Patch Tuesday, but I didn't notice the problem until this weekend.

The button still causes the vibration, but doesn't do anything. I've tried the power-volume up reset, and that didn't do it. I think my next step is to start blowing away drivers in the HID section of Device Manager, but I am about to leave for work, so I thought I'd post the question before I leave, and get to the DM later.

Has anyone else encountered this? Have a solution other than the standard "reset Windows" mantra?

Thanks!

Rich

bmclachlan

Hello, all. Just found this forum while searching for the answer... I've got a SP2 and suddenly I've noticed that the capacitive start button has stopped working. I presume it happened after the updates last week on Patch Tuesday, but I didn't notice the problem until this weekend.

The button still causes the vibration, but doesn't do anything. I've tried the power-volume up reset, and that didn't do it. I think my next step is to start blowing away drivers in the HID section of Device Manager, but I am about to leave for work, so I thought I'd post the question before I leave, and get to the DM later.

Has anyone else encountered this? Have a solution other than the standard "reset Windows" mantra?

Thanks!

Rich

Have you pressed the power button on top? If nothing happens within 10 seconds after you press that button, then do this:
1. Press and hold the volume up key (left side of screen) and at the same time, press and hold the power button. Count to 15. Continue to hold EVEN IF YOU SEE THE SCREEN FLASH ON!
2. Release both buttons and count to 10.
3. Press the power button. The Surface should start normally.

Typically when the Surface does not start properly it means it did not shutdown properly. This procedure forces a shutdown so the Surface can start normally.

OP
H

hopmedic

Have you pressed the power button on top? If nothing happens within 10 seconds after you press that button, then do this:
1. Press and hold the volume up key (left side of screen) and at the same time, press and hold the power button. Count to 15. Continue to hold EVEN IF YOU SEE THE SCREEN FLASH ON!
2. Release both buttons and count to 10.
3. Press the power button. The Surface should start normally.

Typically when the Surface does not start properly it means it did not shutdown properly. This procedure forces a shutdown so the Surface can start normally.
It looks to me like you're answering a different post than mine. My Surface starts up just fine.
...the capacitive start button has stopped working.
I've tried the power-volume up reset, and that didn't do it.

OP
H

hopmedic

Ok - problem resolved. I just blew away everything in Device Manager under HID devices, and let them reinstall and all is good now.

bluegrass

Me too. Don't need it since there is button at the bottom left on the task bar. What the heck are HID devices. I marvel at all the places that people go and try out. I'm a tech and I've haven't had a reason to go to Device Manager on my Surface. Actually, I do all the time when I'm working on computers here at work but I'm not even sure how to get to Device Manager on my Surfaces.

OP
H

hopmedic

Me too. Don't need it since there is button at the bottom left on the task bar. What the heck are HID devices. I marvel at all the places that people go and try out. I'm a tech and I've haven't had a reason to go to Device Manager on my Surface. Actually, I do all the time when I'm working on computers here at work but I'm not even sure how to get to Device Manager on my Surfaces.

The taskbar isn't always there (metro apps).
Don't know how to get to DM on surface? Tech??
HID: Human Interface Devices. Been part of DM for years. Some keyboards. Some mice. Touchscreen. Some other forms of interaction between computer and human. Oh - and apparently the capacitive Start button.
You marvel at where people go to try out? Could that be because you do not have the experience to know where the right place is to look? It was the right place to look, as proven by going there resolved my problem.

Maybe before you make sarcastic comments about marveling "all the places that people go and try out" you might look there and learn something.

Signed, Someone who has been using computers for more than 30 years, and has worked as a "tech", programmer, systems admin, and more.

Last edited:
OP
H

hopmedic

I wish mine stopped working - it's very annoying when accidentally touching it in tablet mode.

I can see where it would be nice to be able to easily enable and disable it for situations like this. I like having it, but yes, it does get in the way sometimes. What I do to get around it is to hold the tablet upside-down.

Last edited:

bluegrass

HopMedic says "The taskbar isn't always there (metro apps)." The only reason I know to use it when I'm on the Start Page. I keep a Desktop Icon handy on the Start page.

HopMedic says "Don't know how to get to DM on surface? Tech??" Sorry if marveling at how so many people get into all the nooks and crannies of the OS where they can get into trouble if they change something they don't know about is being sarcastic. Yes, I started out with key punches and plug compatible disk and tape systems on IBM 360s 45 years ago. Most of the time I approach learning where something is when I need to. Guess I haven't found a reason yet to use the Device Manager on my Surface. I have trouble finding some things that Microsoft dumbed down to make it easy for beginners but I don't go looking until I need to. And yes with all the flippin' "HID" type abbreviations people make up for stuff these days is daunting. I'm sure most people don't know all of these but are afraid to let someone know because they don't want to appear ignorant. I'm long past not asking a question for fear of looking like I'm ignorant.

GoodBytes

When you say it doesn't work.. does not work intermittently? Or no mater what you do it stop working (open program on the desktop, restart, etc.)
'cause I know there is a bug in Windows 8, as it seams, where it sometimes doesn't work. I am saying this, because even other manufactures with physical buttons, sometimes have their not working.
Usally opening a desktop program (maybe a folder will work as well), for some reason will fix this.

OP
H

hopmedic

When you say it doesn't work.. does not work intermittently? Or no mater what you do it stop working (open program on the desktop, restart, etc.)
'cause I know there is a bug in Windows 8, as it seams, where it sometimes doesn't work. I am saying this, because even other manufactures with physical buttons, sometimes have their not working.
Usally opening a desktop program (maybe a folder will work as well), for some reason will fix this.
It's fixed now, though.
It wouldn't work at all. Restarts, disconnecting keyboard, power button-volume up reset... Nothing.

HopMedic says "The taskbar isn't always there (metro apps)." The only reason I know to use it when I'm on the Start Page. I keep a Desktop Icon handy on the Start page.

HopMedic says "Don't know how to get to DM on surface? Tech??" Sorry if marveling at how so many people get into all the nooks and crannies of the OS where they can get into trouble if they change something they don't know about is being sarcastic. Yes, I started out with key punches and plug compatible disk and tape systems on IBM 360s 45 years ago. Most of the time I approach learning where something is when I need to. Guess I haven't found a reason yet to use the Device Manager on my Surface. I have trouble finding some things that Microsoft dumbed down to make it easy for beginners but I don't go looking until I need to. And yes with all the flippin' "HID" type abbreviations people make up for stuff these days is daunting. I'm sure most people don't know all of these but are afraid to let someone know because they don't want to appear ignorant. I'm long past not asking a question for fear of looking like I'm ignorant.
FYI, you get into DM the same way you do with any other Win8 device. And you can use the same methods as Win7, with the exception of Start | Right Click Computer | Manage.

No, I didn't get into nooks and crannies of the OS to get into trouble and change anything. I let Microsoft install updates.

Thanks for a great taste of these boards. I'll look elsewhere next time.