What's new

Case; Skin; or Bare

MickeyLittle

Hey everyone,

I have had my Surface Book in a case pretty much from day 1 and so this thread is about different choices and different results. I currently use an Icarer case because it is light weight, protects from scratches, and keeps my SB from sliding around on my desk at work. This case does not offer much as far as drop protection goes but that is not a concern (knock on wood) for me as I haven't dropped a laptop in my life.

I was keeping a couple strips of contact liner (or whatever it's called) Amazon.com: Con-Tact Brand Grip-N-Stick Adhesive Grip Shelf & Drawer Liner, 18 Inches by 4 Feet, Taupe: Electronics
at my office and home to prevent slipping but was worried about scratches so the case won out. If I didn't have to worry about the SB getting scratched I would probably remove the case to reduce the overall weight.

Ok so what are some of you doing and how is it working out?

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Good stuff sir. Thanks for the link, I'll do some reading on this tonight!

btw... it looks great! How long did it take you to get all the pieces on?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a SB user, but I have never protected my portable devices be it phones, plastic android tablets, or surfaces, and never will. In my mind, I am anything but gentle with my devices and they still look just fine.

Wayne Orwig

I always worry about anything that might trap heat in the cabinet, especially anything that may cause the battery to be warmer and shorten its life.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I always worry about anything that might trap heat in the cabinet, especially anything that may cause the battery to be warmer and shorten its life.

Hadn't thought about that. I may try it for a couple days with no case because that really makes sense!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
T
btw... it looks great! How long did it take you to get all the pieces on?

Placed all the pieces in about 20 minutes. The Black Ostrich is discontinued, but Stickerboy has some great other skins. I especially like that the skin has a texture to match.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

T

Placed all the pieces in about 20 minutes. The Black Ostrich is discontinued, but Stickerboy has some great other skins. I especially like that the skin has a texture to match.

Not bad. I chickened out of ordering combo 1 and decided on combo 2 graphite, with top, bottom, and keyboard coverage. Can't wait to get it installed.

Last edited:

Niterider4

On my first SB I had the stickerboy graphite combo 2 and it looked really nice. Really different and I liked the texture. It did kind of trap crumbs in the texture now and then, but it wasn't a big deal. There were a few edges I had to razor blade off after a while, but again no big deal.

When I had to exchange my SB, I took the skin off and I haven't bothered to put a skin on the replacement SB. I'm happy with the stock finish, although it is a bit more slippery, but it is easier to wipe clean.

Tomatoes tomatoes.