What's new

CES 2015 - Pen Input made easy

WAR

http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/apps/writeit/#video

Finally, a product that maximizes inking on a Tablet PC. Why can't Microsoft include this in Windows 8? This makes me want to turn in my SP3.

I would settle for an ink enabled floating tablet input panel like we used to have years ago . . .

upload_2015-1-8_12-31-12.png

leeshor

Much of that seems to mimic what the Galaxy Note phablets can do. Microsoft it probably working on it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, it says download it in the Spring... sounds like its just a software add on for devices with pen support.

zhenya

Windows already has this capability built into the on-screen keyboard. I guess floating it above the screen might work a bit better, but I'm not too convinced. Microsoft's system works incredibly well, but the reality is that typing is usually both faster and more accurate than even the best handwriting recognition because typing is by definition much more precise.

bvone21

Windows already has this capability built into the on-screen keyboard. I guess floating it above the screen might work a bit better, but I'm not too convinced. Microsoft's system works incredibly well, but the reality is that typing is usually both faster and more accurate than even the best handwriting recognition because typing is by definition much more precise.

It's a little different, it's not floating or in a separate window...you can literally write into any text input on screen. Hopefully MS does integrate the same into Windows...and I agree, if I have a keyboard...that's much easier...but if I'm already using the pen for note taking, then this might be more convenient than the current implementation.

I signed up for the beta...I wonder if it will be hardware restricted in any way? Doesn't seem like it...

They also added screen tech so that you can write with anything (like a normal pencil)....I think they just jacked up the sensitivity of the screens somehow...but pretty cool for a basic 8" tablet or something. Pop it out in a meeting and just use a nearby pen to jot down notes. Don't need to pack or keep track of a stylus (although you're sacrificing pressure sensitivity I'm assuming, and maybe some accuracy?)

OP
WAR

WAR

The keyboard which is docked at the bottom of the screen takes up too much real estate, often blocking important information. The "floating" input screen is only a keyboard, it does not allow for handwritten input.

OP
WAR

WAR

I assumed that the software would be limited to use on Lenovo products . . . I'm going to sign up for the beta just in case (fingers crossed).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assumed that the software would be limited to use on Lenovo products . . . I'm going to sign up for the beta just in case (fingers crossed).
And if it is limited ... run the application compatibility toolkit and shim it so it thinks its running on a Lenovo :)

Sorry, no workaround if your device doesn't support pen input, cannot fake that one. :D

zhenya

I see what you are saying. I remember using the old floating bar. I guess I usually use my Surface in portrait so the space it takes up didn't bother me too much because I have plenty of height. Since you can already undock that panel and move it where you like it seems like a trivial change to allow you to resize it.

OP
WAR

WAR

I tweeted to WRITEit as to whether it would work on the Surface and here is their reply: @DOitApps: @waynearoberts #WRITEit will wirk on all Windows 8 touchscreens, starting with @lenovo. Time to pick up a new machine eh!

Liam2349

Being able to write anywhere on the screen is an interesting idea and more features is always nice, however I feel that writing is basically a gimmick as the keyboard is far more efficient.

When I started using SP2, I did play about with the on-screen ink panel, and whilst interesting at first it didn't last for long. I've found that the keyboard is the way to go when writing a lot of text - I only use the pen for note taking really, which is a lot of what I do, but all structured writing is best done with a keyboard.