What's new

Challenges with projection - a particular issue

I use the Surface Pro 3 to teach. I typically use Powerpoint or then OneNote. Recently, the tablet has become unstable:
1. When I write on ppt, the pen does not disable the hand, so that if my hand moves on the surface ppt moves one slide forward
2. On OneNote, the pen skips; it does not record all marks
A couple of observations:
I've had the machine since September. I had challenges with writing, but these settled down. I had problems projecting with HDMI, but no problems projecting with VGA. Now problems have started with VGA as well.
Could this be an interface issue? Could this be a machine issue? Could this be about the resolution/ refresh rates of the projector?
Any suggestions about how I could diagnose this, would be much appreciated

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Surface Pro 3 to teach. I typically use Powerpoint or then OneNote. Recently, the tablet has become unstable:
1. When I write on ppt, the pen does not disable the hand, so that if my hand moves on the surface ppt moves one slide forward
2. On OneNote, the pen skips; it does not record all marks
A couple of observations:
I've had the machine since September. I had challenges with writing, but these settled down. I had problems projecting with HDMI, but no problems projecting with VGA. Now problems have started with VGA as well.
Could this be an interface issue? Could this be a machine issue? Could this be about the resolution/ refresh rates of the projector?
Any suggestions about how I could diagnose this, would be much appreciated
Honestly, I think some of it is the some regression in the Video Driver. For some reason it looks like Microsoft has rolled back the Intel HD Driver back to the March version in the latest firmware updates, we were using the August Version that was pushed out in the September Update.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you running Windows 8.1 you can download it from Intel's site....they won't be optimized for the Surface but others are using them....

riggi

I use miniDP to vga adaptor and don't have those problems. I just tested OneNote and PowerPoint. Both write fine with no registering of touch while the pen is in use. I have all of the latest Windows updates.

It sounds like points 1 and 2 are the same issue. The detection of the pen is dropping in and out, which is resulting in the writing coming and going, and short periods where touch is registered in PowerPoint.

Is it happening when not connected to an external display? Or only when connected to a display?

Have you tried another projector?
If it is only happening with 1 projector, it might be a weird grounding issue? I remember some people reporting pen problems when connected to certain power outlets that had a grounding problem.

Have you tried changing the pen batteries? The fact that it cuts in and out sounds like maybe the batteries are weak.

I really appreciate this. It only happens when connected to an external projector. I initially thought it was a pairing issue so I made sure I paired the pen - that didn't fix it. When I hook up the VGA to a monitor, it does not happen.
It happens principally with a projector. As I said, I found previously that t did not happen with VGA but it did happen with HDMI. You may be right about the pen battery - I will check it.
Thanks

I'm beginning to think it's my machine. There's one problem - the bevels on the right hand side of the machine seem to be inactive. I can't open a menu by swiping from the right. I've tried new batteries and a new pen. The problems remain:
1. In ppt, my hand is not disengaged when I use the pen. So if my hand moves as I am writing it registers that I want to move the slide
2. In One Note, the writing is very hit or miss - lots of places where it simply does not register the writing
3. The pen seems to get disconnected very easily. I'm writing - stop for a second and the pen gets disconnected - I see this from the bluetooth menu.