What's new

Change default save location for camera?

curney

I can't seem to find a way to change where the camera saves photos. I would like to save them to the desktop if that matters. I don't mind using the registry editor if needed. thanks

caltrop

Yep, same here. I want everything on the SD Card.

Don't get your hopes up for Surface RT & Surface 2. There's not a whole lot you can do with it like REAL Win8.

I got the Surface 2 for Internet stuff. The camera isn't very good on any mobile device which is why I have a REAL Camera.

And another gripe: NO Media Player in Win8 like there used to be with WinXP. All these crappy apps just like Android which is even worse.

Until THEY start listening to what we want it's only going to get worse.

oion

I can't seem to find a way to change where the camera saves photos. I would like to save them to the desktop if that matters. I don't mind using the registry editor if needed. thanks

You can ignore the whining of caltrop. :)

I haven't used the camera, but it probably saves to the Libraries. You can change the default Library save locations to the microSD or any specific location: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-micro-sd-libraries-and-metro-style-apps

There are built-in media apps, Xbox Music and Xbox Video.

trippma

The easiest way to change the default save location of the Camera app:

Snap a picture with the Camera app to create the default Camera Roll folder.

From File Explorer\Libraries\Pictures move the Camera Roll folder to the desired location, including removable media - simply drag and drop.

Done!

For the curious the registry key is:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. *edit - no space in "Explorer"
Value name: {AB5FB87B-7CE2-4F83-915D-550846C9537B}
Value data: path for the desired location e.g. D:\Pictures\Camera Roll

This key does not exist by default, you'll have to create a new Expandable String Value (the key is created if you move the Camera Roll via File Explorer).

Hope this helps

Last edited: