What's new

Changes since 8.1 on Surface 2

EDRo

With the Windows 8.1 update came a few changes, mostly to help non-touch desktop users with keyboard and mouse setups. Most of these changes we didn't need on the Surface (and other Windows 8 tablets), fortunately, none of the new features get in the way of our touch gestures etc.

Here's one thing that's bugging me, is there was a setting somewhere that got changed, where every time I close a "Modern/Start/Metro/Store/RT" app now, it goes to the desktop... I don't wanna go to the desktop. I want to exit to the Start Screen like it did before.

And yes, on the "Taskbar and Navigation Properties" tab, under "Navigation", the box that says "go to the desktop after I sign in or close all apps on the screen instead of the Start Screen" is UN-checked....

Anyone?

Anyone else have any gripes about some of the new features they've added in the 8.1 update?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Same Control Panel that you used but wrong Tab, On the Taskbar Tab clear the Checkbox that says "Show Windows Store Apps on the Taskbar"

OP
EDRo

EDRo

Same Control Panel that you used but wrong Tab, On the Taskbar Tab clear the Checkbox that says "Show Windows Store Apps on the Taskbar"

Ah ok. Thanks.. So I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too? (have store apps on my taskbar AND exit to the Start Screen after closing apps)?

Edit: wait... I just did that and STILL have store apps on my taskbar. Hmmm

Last edited:

MarkDau

It will still let you pin Modern apps to the taskbar. It just won't show active Modern apps there, unless you have them pinned. :)

EMINENT

I think what he's referring to is when you tombstone the final, last remaining Modern app, we no longer get the start menu, it goes to desktop.

Confirmed. This is happening to me too since the last update.

If you select to show the apps on the taskbar, after tombstone, you get the desktop. In order for it to go to the start menu, we can't have the option to show apps on the taskbar.

Sucks. I guess i'm fine with not having them show on my Surface since i'm rarely using the desktop. They should correct this though and allow both as before the last string of updates.