What's new

Changing drive letter assignment causes crash - or fails.

Banner

Platform: Windows 10, Version 21H2, OS Build 19044.2006
System Model Surface Pro 7

More platform details below*.

PRELIMINARY COMMENTS

I don't know whether my problem is a Surface Pro problem, or a Windows 10 problem.
However, I've had microSD problems in multiple Surface Pro devices (SP4's and an SP7), so I'm going with the SP forum.

THE PROBLEM

My microSD drive is assigned to E: (or, at least, that is what I want).

My USB drive is assigned to D: (or, at least, that is what I want).

This has been the case for some time.

"Suddenly", I noticed that the drives had transposed (microSD is D:, and UAB is E:).

I attempted to "reswap" using Disk Management.

For example, to assign the microSD to T:, then the USB to D:, then the microSD (T:) to E:.

However, when I attempt to change a drive letter, one of three things occur:

1)

The system crashes, with the message:

"Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart". We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.”

There is a "stop" error code, but it is NOT consistent (I seem to get a different code each time this occurs).

I don't know whether I've gotten any rpeats, actually.

Here are some of the codes that I've gotten, among others.

PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

I have run Event Viewer, but not found the messages in any log.

2) Nothing

3) The assigned letter is changed.

However, even if the assigned letter is changed, when I reboot, the change usually "reverts".

SITUATION

I spent nearly an hour to finally swap two drive letters (to what they have been at for some time).

Those assignments lasted a day or two.

Now, they have "swapped back".

I've been trying for over an hour to swap them back.

Here is one sequence:

I changed E: to T:

I rebooted.

The T: change had stuck.

I changed D: to E:

The computer crashed, with the "Your device ran into a problem..." message.

When I rebooted, the drives were back to the WRONG assignments that they had been on before I had done any reassignments.

I've scanned both drives for errors. There are none (it did report correcting errors on the USB drive).

BOTTOM LINE:

Switching drive letter assignments generally does nothing, causes a crash, or, if it works, usually "reverts" on reboot.

In over an hour of trying, I've been unable to swap the assignments of two drives.

MORE PLATFORM DETAILS

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Model Surface Pro 7
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Surface_Pro_7_1866
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Microsoft Corporation 13.101.140, 12/14/2021
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.6 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.7 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ouch, I feel your pain. based on my gut (this is like Gibbs gut and definitely nearly flawless) I'm going to say this is a windows problem. Do you have things installed on either of the original drive letters? I've tried installing Windows on not the C: drive before ... it always ended badly ... kinda like what you're seeing.

OP
B

Banner

Ouch, I feel your pain. based on my gut (this is like Gibbs gut and definitely nearly flawless) I'm going to say this is a windows problem. Do you have things installed on either of the original drive letters? I've tried installing Windows on not the C: drive before ... it always ended badly ... kinda like what you're seeing.
Thanks for responding.
I don't know who Gibbs is, or what "Gibb's gut" is.
I have neither Windows nor any other software installed on either of the two drives in question.
They both contain only data.
Also, when I attempt to reassign letters, I ensure that no application is running that utilizes either of the two drives.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's a hail Mary attempt at a fix.

run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

then SFC /Scannow

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I that doesn't get you anywhere I'd try creating a new user profile/ID to see if it behaves the same when logged on as a different user. it probably will but this is relatively easy and painless to test. Last resort Clean Install.