What's new

Charger - different versions of magnetic connector?

ClientDev

Hi gang,

I am sure, it must have discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread...

I finally received my SP2 here in Europe. I had the SP1 before and I also have the Surface 2.

To my surprise, the magnetic power connector of my new device has the same bad design as my SP1 had. It has a tiny little LED at the top.
But I thought, they changed the design of the LED, so that it can be seen from the side. At least that's the case for the power connector of my Surface (RT) 2.

The new SP2 is a European version whereas I bought the S2 directly in the USA - just in case it makes a difference.

How does your SP2 connector look like?

cheers,
Thomas

surface power charger.png

bluegrass

I have a SP2 & it looks exactly like your photo. Not sure what the white LED is for, unless it is just to show you that you have it connected properly. I find that some of the time it's better for me to attach the plug 180 degrees from the way you show it. It works either direction.

GoodBytes

Correct. Microsoft only updated the Surface 2 power connector. The Surface Pro 2 power adapter was left untouched from the Pro 1.
I don't find any problem with the Pro 1 light. I can see it just fine. I prefer that than a super bright light glaring at your eyes. Must be very annoying in the dark.

OP
C

ClientDev

That's interesting, indeed! Thanks for the link mbriggs!

Anyway - it's not such a big deal for me. I just couldn't believe, that the S2 comes with an improvement, whereas the SP2 doesn't.

Edit: And there are at least 2 people, who do believe that the new design is indeed an improvement: Paul Thurrott and me. ;)

Last edited:

GoodBytes

No it does not.
I got mine in Janurary 2014, and it didn't came with one. The manual has no indication of the new one.
If you buy the adapter separately, you still have the old one.

And if you re-watch the keynote, Microsoft mentions the Surface 2 having the updated connector, nothing about the Pro 2 connector. And the device on display, for the Pro 2, all had the old connector.

daniielrp

Interesting question. I purchased my SP2 on release date here in US (Oct 22) and it came with the older power connector. But I understand from Paul Thurrott that some SP2s ship with the newer connector. Here is his article on the same: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-2-review

I assume you mean the bit where he says "But some tell me that their own Surface Pro 2 devices do include the new connector" - very heresay evidence. I've yet to see any pro 2 come with the new charger, and wouldn't put much faith in anything Thurrott says...

jollywombat

You can buy the Surface 2 charger connector if the LED is really that much of a selling point, it will work with the SP2, however note that it is only a 24w charger vs the 48w of the SP2 chargers, so will charge at half the rate.

kevinlevrone

I think it's obvious for everyone that the old charger LED was invisible when in kickstand mode due to always facing away from the user's eyes. I sometimes put my finger over the LED to see it's reflection on my finger and to make sure it is charging. But I like it that way, I would not want to be distracted by the LED all the time.