What's new

Charging a smartphone via the AC adapter - not working

OP
K

kevinlevrone

I am sure it is a faulty charger. I had the exact same issue TWICE! Worked fine and then it would do as you describe (blinking when phone plugged in). Lucky for me I had Microsoft complete. Called them and had a new charger in two days with NO QUESTIONS asked! Plugged it in and viola all worked fine. Still on my third, with no issues so far.

Did you by any chance changed the USB cable used for charging, or your actual smartphone, between your first two chargers and the newest one ? I am pretty sure that it works with a standard USB cable (not designed for charging but will still charge at 5W - 5V and 1 Amp) but it doesn't work with 10W (5V-2Amp) cables.

Haldi

I suppose the charger doesn't have enough power to charge both at the same time (the phone has a Snapdragon 800 processor which draws 10W while charging and charges very fast, as opposed to about 5W on
older phones)

I never used a Wallcharger to check that, but the BatteryBar app says my Surface 3 is charging with 20W Maximum so a 36W Charger should still have 16W left!

And the G2 really can draw 2A ? thats nice.. Sony wall charger is limited to 1.5A and even the Z2 does not charge faster than with 1.5A :(

you need a good cable! sometimes even the original cable is bad.. China shit. With a good quality cable the charging time will og Down to

Edit: long cheap cables are the worst..

ptrkhh

you need a good cable! sometimes even the original cable is bad.. China shit. With a good quality cable the charging time will og Down to
In my case, I use the same adapter, same cable, and same everything except the phones (Lumia 820 & BB Z10), yet it shows different results.

Haldi

Okay..... just confirmed! i cannot charge my Sony Xperia Z2 with the Microsoft Wall adapter.
Doesnt matter if the surface is connected or not. It just charges/stops/starts in a 2 seconds intervall

Buelligan

Did you by any chance changed the USB cable used for charging, or your actual smartphone, between your first two chargers and the newest one ? I am pretty sure that it works with a standard USB cable (not designed for charging but will still charge at 5W - 5V and 1 Amp) but it doesn't work with 10W (5V-2Amp) cables.

My first thought was the cable. Have had bad ones before. So I tried several with the same results. Once I received the new charger the original cable worked fine. I'm not sure of the voltage capabilities as I never bothered to look. I did have to replace a cable with the third charger I am currently using but it seems to still work fine. The cable is not marked and I have no idea of it's voltage. Sorry.

JoshB

My phone will sometimes not charge with the SP3 wall charger USB slot. When it doesn't I unplug the power from wall then back in. My phone then starts charging normally. I have a Note 3. And it charges both SP3 and phone at same time.

I've just experienced the same problem and, after a bit of tinkering around, might have a cause. My Galaxy 4 used to charge fine from the power brick but today started exhibiting the same problems - both the Surface and the Galaxy would charge/disconnect/charge in roughly two second cycles. To make sure that it wasn't a problem with the charger I plugged in my e-Cig and all is fine and dandy. The only reason I could think of was that, below a certain percentage, the Galaxy does a rapid charge to get things topped up quickly (presumably putting a hell of a draw on the charger). So, after charging the Galaxy to 75% via the USB slot on the Surface, I plugged it back into the brick and ...... all fine and dandy!