What's new

Charging anomaly

Xiasi

I noticed today the power light on the side of the SP3 charging cable going on and off. This was the first time I noticed this behavior so I changed its position and tried a new power plug. I then unplugged my charging Samsung Note 3 and the light stayed on constantly. I am fine charging the phone on its dedicated USB plug but I wanted to confirm others are seeing this behavior in case I need a new power adapter.

Anyone?

ctitanic

Ok. The power adapter seems not to be powerful enough to charge both. The Sammy Note 3 is a big phone that probably uses a lot of energy from the adapter.

I don't know if there is any other members with the same phone here that can share their experience. I'm using the adapter to charge my Nokia 810 and SP3 without any problem.

Last edited:

wynand32

Interesting. My understanding is that the USP port outputs 5V/1A maximum, and so I wouldn't think it would be affected by the device being charged. Put another way, I believe most/all modern smartphones pull 1A and so it shouldn't make a difference which one is connected, and any device designed to pull more (specifically, 2.1A) should still only pull 1A and thus essentially trickle charge.

For what it's worth, I just tried my Nokia 925, Nexus 5, Dell Venue 8 Pro, and Nexus 10, and all charged (albeit, I'm guessing the tablets very slowly) without interrupting the supply to the Surface Pro 3.

jbowden

I have experienced this trying to charge two iPads on the same USB device. What you are experiencing is overload condition.

Sliksock

I've noticed that when I charge my SP3 and iPad 4 at the same time, the SP3 charges normally and the iPad charges very very slowly.

malberttoo

I've noticed that when I charge my SP3 and iPad 4 at the same time, the SP3 charges normally and the iPad charges very very slowly.

When you say "same time", do you mean the iPad plugged into the USB charging port on the SP3 power brick?

malberttoo

Ok well in that case, your iPad will ALWAYS charge more slowly than if you had used the included Apple power brick to charge it.

The short and simple answer is, that the SP3 power brick USB port is probably delivering about 1/4 of the power of what your Apple iPad charger delivers. So even though your iPad may say "not charging" while plugged in, it IS charging, just at a much slower rate.

Sliksock

Ok well in that case, your iPad will ALWAYS charge more slowly than if you had used the included Apple power brick to charge it.

The short and simple answer is, that the SP3 power brick USB port is probably delivering about 1/4 of the power of what your Apple iPad charger delivers. So even though your iPad may say "not charging" while plugged in, it IS charging, just at a much slower rate.
Yes, I know all of that. I was simply adding my 2 cents, kind of a "me too" sort of thing. I will now refrain from doing so in the future, thank you.

OP
Xiasi

Xiasi

so the question remains... has anyone seen similar behavior with a phone like the note 3? i understand an ipad but i would think a note would draw less. small like a phone... power draw of an ipad... curse you phablet!!!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've successfully charged my Lumia 1520 off the SP3 Power Brick and have used it to Power USB Devices like Speakers, Hard Drives, DVD Drive and a USB Monitor...(not all at the same time).

malberttoo

Yes, I know all of that. I was simply adding my 2 cents, kind of a "me too" sort of thing. I will now refrain from doing so in the future, thank you.

Please do not refrain from doing so in the future, lol, I took your statement about the iPad charging slowly, as a question. My bad!