What's new

Charging life?

Ruffles

Not sure of the number of times but there are apps like Battery Bar Pro that show you the percentage of wear on the battery and what its current capacity is VS the original. My SP2 is currently showing 0.4%. Original capacity was 42002mWh and I have 41847mWh.

oion

if the battery dies can microsoft replace it for free? or does it cost money?

If the battery dies within the warranty period, the entire unit will probably be replaced. When the battery dies from regular usage, it will be well beyond the warranty period, so it should be many years before that happens; in which case, you'd probably be getting a new computer/tablet anyway.

oion

CrippsCorner

There's also an official guideline from Microsoft stating you should ideally let your battery drain down completely once a month to lengthen the life of it.

Ruffles

If your battery, drive, screen...basically anything on the Surface dies and your out of warranty, it's $400. The tablet can not be repaired so they give you a re-manufactured replacement.

oion

D1vad

If your battery, drive, screen...basically anything on the Surface dies and your out of warranty, it's $400. The tablet can not be repaired so they give you a re-manufactured replacement.

Do you realize what you just stated? Your claim is the tablet can't be repaired, so for $400 Microsoft will give you a "repired" replacement, isn't that what re-manufactured means?

Ruffles

Do you realize what you just stated? Your claim is the tablet can't be repaired, so for $400 Microsoft will give you a "repired" replacement, isn't that what re-manufactured means?

No. In this case it means a tablet that had nothing physically wrong but had jacked up software or was returned because a customer didn't like it. They wipe the device and reinstall everything and resell it as "remanufactured".

Actually, I was wrong about the cost. It's $469.

http://crashctrl.com/2013/02/surfaceprooutofwarrantyrepaircosts/

Last edited: