What's new

Charging Light Still On Even Fully Charged at 100%, Normal?

cedric5555

The Charging light is still on even fully charged in 100%. It doesn't go off. I shut down the windows and replug in and the white light never goes off. Is it normal?

Thank you,

drolem

Yes.

The white light indicates that the charger is plugged in and working, plus the charging circuit is functional in the Surface.

It would've been better if MS had used a multicolor LED (red = high current, yellow = trickle charge, green = fully charged) but that is not the case.

T-Bob

Dear MS Product Development:

See below!

Yes.

The white light indicates that the charger is plugged in and working, plus the charging circuit is functional in the Surface.

It would've been better if MS had used a multicolor LED (red = high current, yellow = trickle charge, green = fully charged) but that is not the case.

oion

Dear MS Product Development:

See below!

First of all, this forum isn't an official Microsoft-sanctioned forum. :p

Secondly... I don't have any devices that have color indication on the charger. None of my laptops had such a thing, my work laptop doesn't, my phone's charger doesn't (color indicator is on the phone itself). The flow indicator on the Surface charger already seems a step up, honestly. Maybe a little LED dot on the Surface itself would work for a charge indicator.

Nuspieds

MS can certainly implement a multi-color LED on the charger if they wanted to--and hopefully they do; it would be a great feature.

The battery indicator LEDs on my ThinkPads turned yellow when you got below a certain threshold. This had saved me several times when I thought I had plugged in the ThinkPad but did not; or when one of the power cord connections was not snug. The end result is that the laptop was not charging and, over time, the battery indicator changed from green to yellow and that's how I was able to detect and correct the problem.

One is not always on one's PC doing something such that one can glance over into the system tray to see the charge status. The multi-color LED charge status is especially valuable under such circumstances.

oion

MS can certainly implement a multi-color LED on the charger if they wanted to--and hopefully they do; it would be a great feature.

The battery indicator LEDs on my ThinkPads turned yellow when you got below a certain threshold. This had saved me several times when I thought I had plugged in the ThinkPad but did not; or when one of the power cord connections was not snug. The end result is that the laptop was not charging and, over time, the battery indicator changed from green to yellow and that's how I was able to detect and correct the problem.

One is not always on one's PC doing something such that one can glance over into the system tray to see the charge status. The multi-color LED charge status is especially valuable under such circumstances.

Yes, my point is that a charge LED makes more sense on the Surface itself than the charger. Thanks for proving my point. ;)

TunaSurface

The blue light is fine, it's not like you can see it anyways.
My problem with the charger is the fact that it disconnects way too easily.

TPadden

Yes, my point is that a charge LED makes more sense on the Surface itself than the charger. Thanks for proving my point. ;)
Actually no point is proven other than a power sensing colored led could be in either charger or device. Apple puts one on the MacBook charger plug, Sony tablet puts it on the Xperia tablet power button. Apple's position also makes sense.

Last edited:

DanL

When I had my SP2 the charging light would only turn off if the SP2 was turned off when it reached full charge. If the SP2 was turned on and reached full charge, the charging light stayed on.

GoodBytes

When I had my SP2 the charging light would only turn off if the SP2 was turned off when it reached full charge.
Correct, but just to add a note: It doesn't turn off immediately. It remained on for many minutes, before turning off.

DanL

Correct, but just to add a note: It doesn't turn off immediately. It remained on for many minutes, before turning off.

Yes, it stays on while it's charging. I always assumed when I shut the unit down it charged for a while then the light turned off.