What's new

Charging through USB-C doesn't always work

GlennV

At work, I connect my SFB2 with a Dell WD15 Docking station via USB-C. Everything works fine, but a lot of times only battery 2 get's charged and battery 1 is in use, so it doesn't get charged.
I tried a couple different docking stations at work, but still the same problem.

Any ideas??

Afy

This has been observed with a few USB C chargers. The general consensus is that most USB chargers do not have enough power to charge both batteries especially if the machine is doing intensive-ish tasks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It would need to be at least a 95W Charger and the device would need to be doing light duty, the one that ships with SB2 is 102W and under load can't keep up with the power draw...

OP
G

GlennV

I use the charger from my previous laptop (Dell Precision), and it has enough power. I got the problem when I arrive at work at just plug it in the USB-C drive, without doing anything except opening outlook. I don’t have any powerdrain when I use the one that was shipped with my Sb2 (I usually work in Autocad Revit).
And sometimes it works just fine all day.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use the charger from my previous laptop (Dell Precision), and it has enough power. I got the problem when I arrive at work at just plug it in the USB-C drive, without doing anything except opening outlook. I don’t have any powerdrain when I use the one that was shipped with my Sb2 (I usually work in Autocad Revit).
And sometimes it works just fine all day.
The USB C on the SB 2 is capped at 100W, I'm not sure if that is what is causing what you are seeing...

wynand32

It would need to be at least a 95W Charger and the device would need to be doing light duty, the one that ships with SB2 is 102W and under load can't keep up with the power draw...

To be perfectly precise, the shipping SB2 15" charger provides 95 watts to the system (7 watts is reserved for the USB port). So a 100 watt USB-C charger theoretically provides more power than the shipping charger.