What's new

Christmas failure(s)

RémiM

Yesterday a very strange issue happened to me. I had to change my password (the hotmail one - to which all my things are linked) and for some reasons all my Metro Apps were broken (no more logo and kind of a stange name instead of the usual app's name -- like AppexNews instead of News for instance) and I was unable to open the App Store. It was not even launching.

I ran the Store troubleshooter, it came back with errors but was unable to solve them.

The solution was to refresh my system, which is, to be honnest, a little pain in the ass. But it worked.

During the refreshing process, I had the chance to notice that my screen has a lot of yellow spots in the 4 corners and in the left and right sides. At least 6-8 yellow areas. And I also had the chance to hear that my fan is not well balanced. When the latter is running, if I tilt my SP3 a liitle bit (which I did because I was in my bed holding my SP3 as a tablet), it makes a friction noise. Which sounds like a big mosquito. I've never heard it before as I mostly use my SP3 on a flat surface with the kickstand.

I am living in Québec city and we have no MS Store there. The closest is in Toronto. Exactly where I am for the holidays. So I am going to have a walk there.

Do you guys know if they could do something for me (like send my SP3 for a fix), even if I bought my SP3 further north in a BestBuy store ? Or do I have to go to BB ?

I wish you all a nice end of year.
Take care.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IDK... but walk in give them a sob story about all this trouble and being out of town ... you haven't got anything to lose except a little dignity. :D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW I wonder if your initial trouble was in any way linked to the hacking shutdown of Services yesterday. I think if things are acting weird in this connected world t might be best to wait to see if it blows over.

kozak79

Just go to the support site, write down the problems, select exchange and then select advance exchange. You don't have to speak to anyone. You'll get a new SP3 within 2 days and have 14 days to return the old one in the box and shipping label they provide.

kundas1

kozak, what you fail to mention is that RemiM will be billed on his credit card $1000 till he sends in his old device... RemiM si vous êtes à Toronto, il serait mieux d'aller à la boutique Microsoft! ils vont faire un échange sur place ;)

grumpy

Just go to the support site, write down the problems, select exchange and then select advance exchange. You don't have to speak to anyone. You'll get a new SP3 within 2 days and have 14 days to return the old one in the box and shipping label they provide.

Which will be a refurbished unit, and Microsoft's standards for refurbished units is rather low. At least there is a chance of getting a new unit from a Microsoft store.

kozak, what you fail to mention is that RemiM will be billed on his credit card $1000 till he sends in his old device...
It's actually only a "hold", but they take their sweet time removing the hold.

Last edited:

kundas1

which is why I said "till he sends in his old device" ;) and sharp I said it in French because he is from Quebec ;)

OP
RémiM

RémiM

Thank you very much for all your advices. I really appreciate your help.

I am going to go to the MS store today and I will let you know.

which is why I said "till he sends in his old device" ;) and sharp I said it in French because he is from Quebec ;)

Your french is perfect ! Congratulations. Have you been living in the province of Québec ?