What's new

Chromecast and Surface Pro -- Not Working?

Arizona Willie

I bought a Chromecast this morning and have had zero luck getting it to work.

Unfortunately, I have an old E2000 Linksys router which is not on the approved router list, but many work anyway.

I finally gave up and called Google and they said it is not supported on the Microsoft Surface Pro.
The tech wanted me to dig out my old Xoom tablet cause it is an Android device and would, supposedly work with the Chromecast.
But the tech didn't get into working with the old E2000 router.

Has anyone gotten the Chromecast to work with their Surface Pro? Preferably the original which is what I have.
If so, what router do you have?

daniielrp

I'm not familiar with how these devices work, but I would assume it is through the Devices Charm? E.g you have a picture/music track/video open on the Pro and bring up the charms and choose devices and click on the chrome cast to beam it? (this is what I do with my 360/XBone).

Did he say specifically it won't work with the Pro? I mean it's a full Windows machine. Unlikely but may have just been some Google vs Microsoft BS.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well, I think the tech was in India.
She just said the Surface Pro wasn't an approved device.
She seemed more concerned with trying to get me to use a SmartPhone ( which I don't have ) or an Android tablet ( which I do have but haven't used since I got my Surface ).
I am charging it up right now.
Once charged, I'm pretty sure there is an update for the OS out so I will do any and all updates and then grab the Chromecast app for Android and try it to see if it will work.

But I suspect the REAL culprit is my old Linksys E2000 router which is not on the list of routers known to work.

If it fails on the Xoom I will be pretty sure it is the router.

I just tried plugging it into a 40 Sony Bravia and it wouldn't work there either. I had wondered if the HDMI on this monitor was good but since it doesn't work on the TV HDMI either, I don't think it is the plug in on the monitor.

I tried a cheap Chinese cable directly between the Surface and the monitor which would have eliminated the router but the cable is a POS and doesn't work.
Several people reported their Chinese cables didn't work either.
But the genuine Microsoft cable costs as much as the Chromecast and you are tethered by the cable length so I thought I would try the Comcast.
Having to use Chrome to send stuff to the monitor doesn't bother me cause I use it for most stuff anyway.

I was hoping someone might have solved the problem.

CheyenneDonna

I have a Chromecast; it works fine with my Surface Pro. You need to install the Google Cast extension from the app store to Chrome browser. "The Google Cast extension enables you to find and play content on your Chromecast device from your Chrome browser. When on Cast optimized sites like YouTube and Netflix, you'll see new options that let you play video on your TV via Chromecast - using your computer as a remote to browse for videos and to control playback.
You can also cast any of your tabs in Chrome to your TV, letting you enjoy sites, photos, or even video from the best screen in your home. Note that this feature is still in beta, and requires a fast computer and Wi-Fi network."

You can play any of your media by dragging it into a blank Chrome tab.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

not sure what I did. I had plugged the Chromecast unit back into the desktop monitor and it wasn't
working. I turned on my Xoom tablet and was looking at it and suddenly notice a picture on the screen
of the desktop monitor.

Suddenly the crazy thing just started working. I was able to finish the setup and am typing on my Surface Pro now and the screen is being directed to the desktop monitor as well a showing on the Surface.

There is a pronounced lag though which can be disconcerting when you glance between screens.
I see scrolling while typing is sorta messed up. Something else to get used to.

Supposedly there are apps for Chrome for sending HULU PLUS and Netflix and a couple of other sources via the Chromecast.

I will be checking these all out but it looks like the main problems have resolved themselves.

Last edited:

mattcofer

My Chromecast setup program sees it fine and also I am able to use Chromecast from the Chrome browser on my Surface Pro. I am using a couple of years old AT&T UVerse wireless router. However, my desktop computer (which is also on wireless) cannot see the Chromecast at all...

Unfortunately, I have an old E2000 Linksys router which is not on the approved router list, but many work anyway.

I finally gave up and called Google and they said it is not supported on the Microsoft Surface Pro.
The tech wanted me to dig out my old Xoom tablet cause it is an Android device and would, supposedly work with the Chromecast.

Has anyone gotten the Chromecast to work with their Surface Pro? Preferably the original which is what I have.

jompao

I have still to see anything that looks as good as Airplay to an apple tv. I tried the mirroring app Airparrot on my surface pro and it works but I feel video is not as fluid as I would like. Also you need the screen on the surface pro to be on all the time. Going from an iphone or ipad to apple tv it just works and you can turn "off the screen".

http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I have a 4K TV being delivered this afternoon and I will try streaming from my Surface Pro (Original ) to it via my wireless network. I'm hoping that will work.

jeffskent

Chromecast and Apple TV both work fine for me with a SP1. I use Time Warner Cable modem and a d-link 615 router.

jompao

Chromecast and Apple TV both work fine for me with a SP1. I use Time Warner Cable modem and a d-link 615 router.

You use Airparrot for the apple tv or is there another solution? Does Chromecast only beam over stuff inside the Chrome browser? Or what win 8 apps has Chromecast support?

jeffskent

Truth be told, I rarely use either Chromecast or Apple TV since I can watch the same content on my 27" monitor directly from either iTunes or Netflix or Amazon Prime. But, I have never installed Airparrot, since iTunes broadcasts directly to the Apple TV via the wi-fi network in my house. The same applies with Chromecast in that the Chrome web browser has a button to broadcast the contents of the Chrome web page to the tv via the Chromecast dongle on the home wi-fi network. There seems to be a delay of sorts, but nothing to be concerned about once the program is in sync. I suppose if I had a 55 or 60" tv it might make sense to broadcast the signal to the big tv, but I rarely (never) watch cable or regular tv, so I use the big monitor. Works very well. Good resolution and sound from a usb sound bar.

No results in a search for "Chromecast" in the Win 8 store, so I doubt there is, or ever will be a Win 8 Chromecast app available

jompao

Tried my surfade pro at my Brothers house and it did not work. Hiss pc and android tablet worked fine.