What's new

Clean Install

OP
N

Nibbo

Even bigger problems now, tried to reinstall the image again but deleting everything.
Took a while, I guess to delete everything, and then failed. I now have a brick :mad:

Plantje

What does Microsoft support tell you?
As long as the EUFI BIOS is there and you have an image, it should never result in bricking.

Plantje

I would start at Microsoft Support
There is even a specific route to get support for Surface devices. Don't ask me which route, because they haven't made it easy, but it is possible.

OP
N

Nibbo

As long as the EUFI BIOS is there and you have an image, it should never result in bricking.

I am no expert but...
it is in a boot loop that keeps going back to the 'Set Up' screen not sure what it is called but no option to boot into windows.
This menu has no restore options end clicking 'Exit Setup' just reboots back to the same screen.
Booting from USB and trying the Windows image from their support site does not work.

I think that is technically what we call a brick or is there another option?

Thanks

OP
N

Nibbo

Extra info:
Just tried it again to get the exact error which comes up after it deletes everything!

There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made. (only option is a Cancel button).

It says no changes were made but the hard drive was wiped o_O

Plantje

I would really try to contact support. Perhaps they can point out some sort of key combination that triggers a different way of booting. Otherwise @sharpuser can perhaps point you in the right direction. I think he lives in a different time zone, so it may take a while

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a similar problem with one of my Surface Book 2 devices. And I could not boot from USB.

But then, I created a new USB image from the other Surface Book using media creation tool. That worked. Was able to install clean, then OneDrive restored my files. I only had to reinstall programs (Office & 3rd party desktop). At one point I had to enter the bitlock key, which was on my Microsoft account under “Devices”.

I have not been able to figure out why my first USB stick did not work. The second was a new, cheap, 8GB stick, and worked perfectly.

Last edited: