What's new

Solved Clock won't keep correct time

arm82

Surface Pro 3, about 18 months old. Lately the clock will (apparently) randomly show incorrect time. For example this morning on startup it is 8 hours and 26 minutes behind. Two days ago it was 16 minutes slow. Battery is fully charged and never was discharged more than 50% during that time. In settings I have it on "set time automatically" and "set time zone automatically". Any idea? Thanks in advance.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I saw a similar problem a few days ago on my Surface Book after returning from a trip a couple of time zones away. After powering up back home, the hours and minutes were random, though the date was correct. (I also have a Surface Pro 3, but it did not show this problem, and I did not take it along.)

Build 10586.36

Verified immediately that my settings were correct.

Resolved this way:
1 - Disabled manual time setting and automatic time zone updating.
2 - Re-enabled both.
Correct time appeared about 10 seconds later.

Makes me think the automatic settings / time zone settings are not being respected. Watching this one.

OP
A

arm82

I saw a similar problem a few days ago on my Surface Book after returning from a trip a couple of time zones away. After powering up back home, the hours and minutes were random, though the date was correct. (I also have a Surface Pro 3, but it did not show this problem, and I did not take it along.)

Build 10586.36

Resolved this way:
2 - Re-enabled both.

Makes me think the automatic settings / time zone settings are not being respected. Watching this one.
I tried this and it worked, eventually. The first time, after "thinking" (the whirling circle of dots) for several minutes the clock corrected to 1 hour and 2 minutes behind. repeated the procedure and it corrected to accurate time. Not sure what's up but for now it's all good. Thanks for your help!

KSNelson1

Build 10586.36

Resolved this way:
2 - Re-enabled both.

But would I be correct in saying that this actually does not solve the problem? It just corrects the time? I, too, have seen this problem and disabled and re-enabled the time. Unfortunately, this has occurred several times since the last firmware update.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I put my clock to a big travel test this week, using Insider Build 11102. Multiple time zones, lots of battery cycling. No problems.

Now on Build 14251

Yes - problem seems to be solved.

scaramouche

I put my clock to a big travel test this week, using Insider Build 11102. Multiple time zones, lots of battery cycling. No problems.

Now on Build 14251

Yes - problem seems to be solved.

Feb 3, 2016 - My Pro3 still has the same recurring but intermittent problem. Usually flagged by email recipients due to backdating their end. Have to manually reset as outlined in these posts each time. Also have been in and out of different time zones but problem persists. Very annoying.

Nik

Every now and then if I turn on my SP3 after its been off for a day or so it will be 1 hour behind... And I have to go in and fiddle with the settings to correct it til next time

leeshor

If it's exactly 1 hour off it's probably the "standard time" offset. That should be correctable.