What's new

Clorox / Lysol wipes bad for your screens?

bulls96

I work in a hospital and use my phone and Surface daily. Have made it a habit to clean my gadgets w Clorox or Lysol wipes daily when I get home.

Is it bad for my screens? Have no screen protectors on (have attempted to put on but came out as disasters) and really loving a naked screen.

Not sure what physics work on capacitive screens and wonder if the chemicals have an effect on it.

Thanks in advance!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Typically anything with Alcohol or Ammonia or Bleach can etch or damage the coating on the screen, it could make the screen appear cloudy or scratched....

leeshor

I thought the title was a joke at first, seriously. You would eventually destroy the screen. Camera lens cleaner or LCD screen cleaner and even then (and only if necessary) spray it on a micro fiber cloth not on the screen. A cheap micro fiber cloth will do 99% of the time.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Avoid alcohol, ammonia, bleach, petroleum distillates (Lysol) and, yes, even soap, if you can. As jnjroach states above, the coating and even the screen itself will degrade.

Have you noticed how silky-smooth the screen is on your brand new smartphone, tablet, computer, or even eyeglasses? The surfaces of these screens are finely engineered, but are also delicate. (I specialize in nano-surfaces of materials) The surface becomes more micro-pitted and rough with age and chemical treatments. It is a pain to keep a screen-cleaning cloth (available from office supply stores) handy, but worth it*. Just a little water to slightly dampen the cloth makes it very efficient at lifting body oils and sediment from the surface, with minimal damage. After using one of the chemicals warned against above, you then must remove residue (streaks). I'll wager you were probably doing that with a dry or very slightly moist towel at that point, anyway.

* Of course, it is also the right thing to do to floss between my teeth. I just cannot get into that habit.

Here is a good reference.

Last edited:

kundas1

seriously! who use Clorox/Lysol wipes on a tab screen... no offence to OP but that is just plain dumb!

OP
bulls96

bulls96

THanks for your responses. I had an inkling it would be bad eventually and you confirmed it.

How good are the cleaners with bacteria though? I wonder what germaphobes use to clean theirs?

OP
bulls96

bulls96

seriously! who use Clorox/Lysol wipes on a tab screen... no offence to OP but that is just plain dumb!

I think its dumber to think of your gadgets first before preventing MRSA infections. In my defense.

Again thank u for everyone's input.

benjitek

...I wonder what germaphobes use to clean theirs?
Microfiber cloths used daily for a week and not cleaned have a lot more bacteria than you'll find on your screen. They should be washed with water and mild dish soap, rinsed, then air-dried, weekly.

iLuv makes a great screen cleaner kit. Comes in 2 versions, with a small spray bottle or a large one. Both kits come with a bunch of cleaning cloths, individually wrapped towelettes soaked with cleaner, and special swabs to clean keyboards. And, it's antibacterial ;-)

I've used it for years now, works great. Screen feels brand new to the touch after using it, at least until it gets mucked up again...

http://www.iluv.com/product_list.asp?page=2&icd=iCL45&pcd=I1352&search=cleaner

http://www.iluv.com/product_list.asp?page=2&icd=iCL55&pcd=I1353&search=cleanerCapture.PNG

Wayne Orwig

I work in a hospital and use my phone and Surface daily. Have made it a habit to clean my gadgets w Clorox or Lysol wipes daily when I get home.

Is it bad for my screens? Have no screen protectors on (have attempted to put on but came out as disasters) and really loving a naked screen.

Not sure what physics work on capacitive screens and wonder if the chemicals have an effect on it.

Thanks in advance!

Actually, the front layer of the touch screen is a hardened glass. You are not going to harm the touch screen glass with a mild disinfectant like a Lysol wipe. There is a plastic bezel between the glass and the metal frame that you may dull eventually. And you may discolor the metal cabinet eventually. And using it on the plastic keyboard would be a bad idea for sure.
But the glass touch screen is good. The biggest danger with the touch screen glass is sand or grit. That will damage it quickly.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft is touting the device for use by doctors in hospitals so they must be some recommendation for cleaning. Have tried asking MS Support? I would definitely street clear of chlorine based cleaners!!! Alcohol may be OK if designed for the purpose...but check first.