What's new

Close progress to optimize Surface 3 ?

ONeill29

Hello

I'v buy a surface 3 one week ago and I find it very good. However the battery is not as good as possible.
I've see that the surface can run 8-9 hours but I'm at 6h3à with internet, word and 35% of luminosity...
So is there a problem ??

I give to you a battery report > Free - Envoyez vos documents I have also a energy report but he is in french so...
I give also screenshot of my task manager. It is in french but I think that you can say to me what are the pointless process
>Task manager 1 http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/a6VgN4cy
>Task manager 2 http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/TSTWvPfw

Just the traduction in english of "en cours" is "in progress" and "suspendu" is "suspended"

So Can you help me to optimize my battery and close the pointless process ? Thanks a lot

PS : I'm not sure of my grammar and of somme words I write so if you don't understand I will find an other wording.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The energy report and a sleepstudy might be useful, I see nothing here that's useful. One or more screen shots of Task manager Processes tab sorted by CPU with highest on top that reflects your most common top users would also help. look at Task Manager App History sorted by top CPU as well.

OP
O

ONeill29

Ok if I understand you would like in the task manager the apps/procces which are use the most of processes ?

OP
O

ONeill29

I have that. However I can be at 10% and after 60% so I don't know if it is very relevant...

If I see there is no apps to close, however I don't understand why I was just 6H30 and you, How many hours are you ?

>>>In the screenshot word and excel are open but as I'M not on it there is no calculation to them

>>>For the history don't take in count the game because when I've calculate 6H30 I don't run it !!!

Attachments

• Capture d’écran (5).png
    Capture d’écran (5).png
    173.3 KB · Views: 592
  • Capture d’écran (6).png
    Capture d’écran (6).png
    168.6 KB · Views: 554
  • Capture d’écran (7).png
    Capture d’écran (7).png
    155.9 KB · Views: 642

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like Opera is consuming a lot of resources and is the main culprit in this snapshot. If you just used Metro IE I think you would do better on battery. I assume Opera is your primary browser. None of the other browsers are optimized for battery preservation on a Surface.

At a command prompt CD to a Temp directory and run powercfg /sleepstudy the report will be saved in the directory for easy retrieval. This will tell us if you have issues with burning battery when it should be sleeping.

OP
O

ONeill29

Looks like Opera is consuming a lot of resources and is the main culprit in this snapshot. If you just used Metro IE I think you would do better on battery. I assume Opera is your primary browser. None of the other browsers are optimized for battery preservation on a Surface.

At a command prompt CD to a Temp directory and run powercfg /sleepstudy the report will be saved in the directory for easy retrieval. This will tell us if you have issues with burning battery when it should be sleeping.

1)So I have to use internet explorer to have the best performance ?
You say that there is no browsers optimized with the surface and on windows 1O, is edge optimized for the surface ?

2)I have to make a quick powercfg /sleepstudy but when ? just before turn off my surface or put on stand by ?

3) I don't know what is Black viper, I will read your article when I will have time but I have never activate this (For info I went on Windows10 and retrogate after)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
1)So I have to use internet explorer to have the best performance ?
You say that there is no browsers optimized with the surface and on windows 1O, is edge optimized for the surface ?

2)I have to make a quick powercfg /sleepstudy but when ? just before turn off my surface or put on stand by ?

3) I don't know what is Black viper, I will read your article when I will have time but I have never activate this (For info I went on Windows10 and retrogate after)
sorry, I didn't realize you were on Windows 10. Windows 10 may not be optimized yet at all but you would likely be better off using the Microsoft browser in any case.

It doesn't matter when you run the sleepstudy report. Data is collected automatically and the report just analyzes what's there.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 like all NT 6.x Operating Systems use resources extremely efficiently out of the box, depending on what you install on the system is what impacts performance/battery. Black Viper's recommendations are for a bygone era and will typically end up hurting more than helping....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a number of threads on short battery life under W10 and my Surface Pro 3, on its third installation of Windows 10, never sleeps; which has to negatively impact battery life. I gave up installing anything, it just wasn't worth it. The updates are coming... 3 so far, probably another before the month is out. Id expect 3-4 in September and then there's the big update coming in October. I don't think it's worth your time to work on these issues, just grin and bare [sic] it until the updates get things under control.