What's new

Closing Programs unexpectedly on low battery

Heather

hi, I have an issue where my laptop closes programs when it gets to too low a battery before I get any warning or anything as well, it's very annoying when I'm using photoshop or something and it just quits losing any work since the last backup, anyone know how I could fix this? I'd rather it go to sleep instead of just suddenly quitting.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this sort of thing, so sorry if it's not.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @Heather. Thanks for signing up.

Go to Settings, System, Battery for "Battery saver settings". You will see options to allow Windows 10 to start limiting applications and programs when the battery falls below 20% remaining. Included is a list of applications you may keep or remove from this battery management.

Hope this helps.

OP
H

Heather

Hi, @Heather. Thanks for signing up.

Go to Settings, System, Battery for "Battery saver settings". You will see options to allow Windows 10 to start limiting applications and programs when the battery falls below 20% remaining. Included is a list of applications you may keep or remove from this battery management.

Hope this helps.
Hey, thanks that sounds like it would work but I don't have a list of programs or anything in my setting there, this is what that section looks like for me:
upload_2019-9-26_0-49-13.png

if I click "see which apps are affecting your battery life" it shows a list but I don't think this is what you were talking about since I can't set it to not close them from here that I can see. there's only a box that says "let windows decide when this app can run in the background" but I'm always in the middle of using them when they close so it's not in the background. thanks for the help.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-26_0-48-44.png
    upload_2019-9-26_0-48-44.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 478
  • upload_2019-9-26_0-49-9.png
    upload_2019-9-26_0-49-9.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 542

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay - my version of Windows 10 is an Insider future release, so more options will be available in a few months.

In the meantime, what is your Windows 10 version (Settings, System, About)? Should be 1903 or higher.

OP
H

Heather

Okay - my version of Windows 10 is an Insider future release, so more options will be available in a few months.

In the meantime, what is your Windows 10 version (Settings, System, About)? Should be 1903 or higher.
Mine says 1809
on updates it says:
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903
The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We're offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you'll see the update available on this page. There's nothing you need to do at this time.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Better power management is coming soon to your device.

Let's explore something else, though. Are you using a special display mode for some applications? If so, the application may be terminated when the battery level goes low. Search Cortana for "Graphics Settings".

OP
H

Heather

Okay. Better power management is coming soon to your device.

Let's explore something else, though. Are you using a special display mode for some applications? If so, the application may be terminated when the battery level goes low. Search Cortana for "Graphics Settings".
I don't think have ever set up any special display modes, in the settings it doesn't show that I have either. it just seems to close more demanding software like photoshop and some games