What's new

Closing Type Cover - billions of issues

olimjj

I am compelled to nominate all of the above reply posters as qualified candidates for Microsoft Customer Technical Support Team.

jrapdx

I didn't want to bore you with details...
Why I can be sure about the relation to the update is: it was standing on my office's desk, I did the update and after it was finished I closed the lid.
When I returned shortly after, I opened the cover, pressed the power button and there it was: the fans went on for a couple of seconds and nothing on the screen. Had to push buttons like forever to have it cold-started. That was when the issues started.

A very persuasive portrayal of good hardware gone bad. But very strange, a one in a million adverse combination somehow got triggered by one (or more) of of the numerous Feb blobs. It defies comprehension.

Today, I feel your pain. This morning attempting to start the SP2, it wouldn't start whichever buttons I was pressing, just sat there blankly. I felt entirely helpless for a minute or so. Finally after a long time, almost grudgingly, the SP2 booted up. Weird. No fans were whistling

And I see it in the event-log that there are always several Type Cover driver issues. When I de-install that driver, the Feb.14 update appears again in the update list, so these must be related.

Well, there have been other apparent driver interactions, like the peculiar issue of cold booting followed by CPU utilization of 30%. This only occurred with mSD card in slot and sound driver activated. What's that about?

BTW: I LOVE re-installing computers. I'm maintaining PCs for all my relatives and I almost enjoy if they broke something, so I have something to fix (yes, I'm a pervert). But when it comes to the SP2, it appears just so pointless, it seems like fixing something which can't be fixed. However, since this time I seem to be alone with my issue, I might go for a replacement.

Not a "perversion", merely an "eccentricity". It's understandable that it would be a pleasure to be so helpful to people you care about. To them the computer is an opaque mystery and the ability to make it work is the absolute equivalent of magic. And you are the magician.

With your own SP2 it is pointless to go one more time trying to fix what is obviously very broken. Go for it, replacement is long overdue. May your new SP2 live long and well!

ohioDroid

I didn't want to bore you with details...
When I returned shortly after, I opened the cover, pressed the power button and there it was: the fans went on for a couple of seconds and nothing on the screen. Had to push buttons like forever to have it cold-started. That was when the issues started.
And I see it in the event-log that there are always several Type Cover driver issues. When I de-install that driver, the Feb.14 update appears again in the update list, so these must be related.

I've had a similar issue. Sleeping hadn't worked right until the Feb update, and then about a week ago, if I tried to wake up the SP2 from sleep using my Type Cover, this would happen. I uninstalled the "Surface Type Cover Filter Device", reinstalled it, and the issues went away for a few days. Then it happened again today. It seems to be related either to waking from sleep, or actually entering Hibernation when the Type Cover is connected.

OP
R

reach

I've had a similar issue. Sleeping hadn't worked right until the Feb update, and then about a week ago, if I tried to wake up the SP2 from sleep using my Type Cover, this would happen. I uninstalled the "Surface Type Cover Filter Device", reinstalled it, and the issues went away for a few days. Then it happened again today. It seems to be related either to waking from sleep, or actually entering Hibernation when the Type Cover is connected.

very, very similar to me. I thought it was fixed after re-installing the driver (unless here it was the "Surface Type Cover Update Device" IIRC). But shortly after the issues came back.
What did you do about it?

ohioDroid

Thus far the only "solution" I have had is either to reinstall the driver AGAIN, or to disable sleep mode. Neither are real solutions.

Rvacha

I suspect this is not specific to the type cover, it is the general "black screen of death" problem MS isn't fixing. I have this problem even when a type cover isn't attached

be77solo

For what it's worth, I have fought this "black screen of death" problem when waking or powering on for months and finally gave up and demanded a replacement. There are numerous threads with hundreds of posts over on the answers.microsoft.com site discussing this issue. Lots of frustration and things we have tried, but nothing solves it.

I'm still convinced that this is a software/firmware/driver problem due to how widespread it is reported, but (knock on wood! ) my replacement has been totally stable since I received it last week. I have used it regularly every day for a week now and have yet to have the black screen crash. My previous unit would have this problem daily or often a couple times a day, even after a fresh reformat and restore.

I was fully expecting my replacement to have the same problem, and honestly still expect it to show up, but so far so good. This is with all February updates installed, so not convinced myself it has anything to do with this latest round of updates, as my previous device had the problem both before and after the February updates.