What's new

Coming back from W10

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting that. Might need that in the future.

I truly thought that by now, I would be wanting to go back. That might happen in the future, but for right now, Windows 10 Technical Preview is essentially Windows 8.1 with a better Start Menu for my taste. So I'm staying.

Screenshot (64).png

Last edited:

r0b123

Agree, I've had good luck so far (/me knocks on wood) and I really like Windows 10 TP. Its been stable and used as my main system both at home and work. The new Start menu plus the multiple desktop really is helpful. No chance on being going back to Windows 8.1 anytime soon.

Kris

Back on Windows 8 and not happy about it. Was having all kinds of network issues, so changed back and tried a million things and still was having the issues, did one last clean install of Windows 8, to get ready for a return, and now it's working... Want to install Windows 10 again but afraid it will screw up my network connection again.

lparsons21

I had it on my SP1 and had no problems, but I wanted to go back as there are warnings about making it a daily driver.

Won't ever put the tech preview back on the SP1 as it is downright painful to do the restore though I've since learned more. Now I have an image of my entire SSD on my WD USB3 HD thanks to Acronis software. Much easier to restore and brings you back to where you were when you made the image.

I have W10 on my desktop AIO with a dual-boot setup and after finally finding and installing some HP drivers that it needed, all is good. This way is better imo, as you can go back to W8.1 with just a simple reboot.

lhauser

I did this just tonight. Not that I was horribly unhappy with Win10; I just wanted my tablet back. Win10 was stable and steady, but it lacked the integration of Win8.1 with the SP3. I'll think about putting it back on when Continuum arrives.

Liam2349

I did this just tonight. Not that I was horribly unhappy with Win10; I just wanted my tablet back. Win10 was stable and steady, but it lacked the integration of Win8.1 with the SP3. I'll think about putting it back on when Continuum arrives.

Similarly, I'm going to first try it when they implement Continuum.

lparsons21

Go back to Windows 8.1? No way. I love W10.

I do too, but not on the SP.

I tend to be using my SP on my lap and doing almost entirely things that I can do with 'modern ui' apps. In that, W10 brings nothing to the table imo. When continuum gets implemented I'll revisit.

lhauser

Interesting dynamic. Perhaps they should never release a product... everyone loves it until its released then there's nothing but problems.
Uh, what? Of course everyone knows there will be problems. I'm seeing exactly the opposite here - everyone is pretty happy. For myself, I wasn't UNhappy... there weren't any actual problems with Win10 at all. It just isn't integrated with tablet features yet (which I knew going in).