What's new

Common Surface Book Questions

Here are some of the most common questions I've seen regarding the Surface Book.
  1. How capable is the "tablet" part without the "keyboard" attachment? Does the keyboard attachment only include the new GPU and batteries, or have other tablet internals been moved inside the keyboard? I.e., when you detach the keyboard, are you basically left with a thinner Surface Pro 4 missing a kickstand and with less battery life?
  2. Is it correct that the USB ports have been moved to the "keyboard" part while the power and volume buttons remain on the "tablet" part?
  3. When the keyboard is detached (e.g. for comfortably reading e-books), can the "tablet" portion be plugged-in and supplied power?
  4. Is there still a microSD port or only the full-size SD port?
  5. Currently the Surface Pro 3 has 2 pen buttons. In the new pen, one of these (the eraser button) has been moved to the top of the pen. The other one (the right-click button) is not visible on the new pen. Where has it gone?
  6. Does the new pen attach magnetically *only* to the left side of the device, or does the right side also hold it?
  7. Are models with 1TB SSD, LTE or USB-C options coming?
I don't have answers to these questions. So feel free to share any details you have uncovered.

Last edited:
Q1: Why does it not have a stand?

I was a 100% buy for the Surface book, but then I notice that. Being able to stand the surface tablet up is great on planes, or on my table, and I don't want to always have to use the base... otherwise it really is a laptop.

Such a shame they couldn't work out a way to upgrade the surface pro 4, that all of them could work with the base. I have a guess that may be for the future.

Still, Amazin conference, they smashed it, and the surface book is technologically very very clever. I hope some of these questions get answered though, as I am very much on the fence as to what to buy!

Q2: What exactly is the Nvidia GPU?

joell85

Here are some of the most common questions I've seen regarding the Surface Book.
  1. How capable is the "tablet" part without the "keyboard" attachment? Does the keyboard attachment only include the new GPU and batteries, or have other tablet internals been moved inside the keyboard? I.e., when you detach the keyboard, are you basically left with a thinner Surface Pro 4 missing a kickstand and with less battery life?
  2. Is it correct that the USB ports have been moved to the "keyboard" part while the power and volume buttons remain on the "tablet" part?
  3. When the keyboard is detached (e.g. for comfortably reading e-books), can the "tablet" portion be plugged-in and supplied power?
  4. Is there still a microSD port or only the full-size SD port?
  5. Currently the Surface Pro 3 has 2 pen buttons. In the new pen, one of these (the eraser button) has been moved to the top of the pen. The other one (the right-click button) is not visible on the new pen. Where has it gone?
  6. Does the new pen attach magnetically *only* to the left side of the device, or does the right side also hold it?
  7. Are models with 1TB SSD, LTE or USB-C options coming?
I don't have answers to these questions. So feel free to share any details you have uncovered.

In response to some of your questions:

2. Yes if you look on the microsoft store site you can see the only port on the tablet is a headphone jack. There are 2 USB ports on the keyboard as well a s a full sized SD slot.

3. It does not look like there is any way to power the tablet without the keyboard unless there is something hiding in the connected portion which I doubt.

BearFlag

Q1: Why does it not have a stand?

I was a 100% buy for the Surface book, but then I notice that. Being able to stand the surface tablet up is great on planes, or on my table, and I don't want to always have to use the base... otherwise it really is a laptop.

Such a shame they couldn't work out a way to upgrade the surface pro 4, that all of them could work with the base. I have a guess that may be for the future.

I was initially disappointed about this too until I noticed from some of the pictures that you could theoretically flip the tablet portion around and put the laptop in "stand mode" like the Yoga Pro. It might not be the same as a tablet with a kickstand, but at least it's something.

fonzman78

I was initially disappointed about this too until I noticed from some of the pictures that you could theoretically flip the tablet portion around and put the laptop in "stand mode" like the Yoga Pro. It might not be the same as a tablet with a kickstand, but at least it's something.

Yes, you can flip it around and put it in 'stand mode' and make it work on a plane table. But, then you lose the 'tablet' format and you'll have to stow the 'laptop' on take off or landing. Rats!!! Why don't they change it and put the kickstand on the tablet? Now I'm back and forth on which works best - Pro or Book. Maybe both? :)

APierson

I've another Surface Book battery question: after you've used the tablet and plug it back into the keyboard base, will the battery in the base recharge the tablet battery? Or will the tablet battery remain depleted until you plug the whole thing back into a power outlet?

leeshor

I've another Surface Book battery question: after you've used the tablet and plug it back into the keyboard base, will the battery in the base recharge the tablet battery? Or will the tablet battery remain depleted until you plug the whole thing back into a power outlet?
Welcome to the forum

That's another one of those pretty much unknown but I'd bet that's exactly what happens.