What's new

Comparison of 4 portable DVD drives using Surface Pro 2, 3, 4, Surface Book

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
No USB Y cable. I have read a lot about them.
Not sure how how it work. The two ports would be from the USB powered hub?
That or plugged into the SP3 POWER brick... basically anything that can supply USB power.
The 4 port hub power supply says it supplies 2.5A if that wont power your drive there's something wrong with one or both.
I think the Surface USB port only supplies the required 900ma of power per the USB 3.0 std. I think 1.2A is the required minimum for a "USB Power Port". Some devices will supply more than that but it's optional and completely up the them what it supplies or needs.

Don McCubbin

That or plugged into the SP3 POWER brick... basically anything that can supply USB power.
The 4 port hub power supply says it supplies 2.5A if that wont power your drive there's something wrong with one or both.
I think the Surface USB port only supplies the required 900ma of power per the USB 3.0 std. I think 1.2A is the required minimum for a "USB Power Port". Some devices will supply more than that but it's optional and completely up the them what it supplies or needs.

Thanks.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Buffalo MediaStation Portable BDXL Blu-ray Writer has been named the best drive per review by thewirecutter.com. Quietest, best portability design, blue/red LED indicators let you know when the (provided) auxiliary power USB is needed, best quality/warranty.

This was Drive #2 reviewed in the OP.

I duplicated a home video DVD using this drive (only) today, using my Surface Pro 3 on battery power (reading the original) and on mains power (writing the new DVD-R). Nice to have a USB cable tucked under the drive ready for auxiliary power, should it be needed.

buffalo_drive_Blu_Ray.jpg

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Buffalo MediaStation Portable BDXL Blu-ray Writer has been named the best drive per review by thewirecutter.com. Quietest, best portability design, blue/red LED indicators let you know when the (provided) auxiliary power USB is needed, best quality/warranty.

This was Drive #2 reviewed in the OP.

I duplicated a home video DVD using this drive (only) today, using my Surface Pro 3 on battery power (reading the original) and on mains power (writing the new DVD-R). Nice to have a USB cable tucked under the drive ready for auxiliary power, should it be needed.

View attachment 4919
I have a much older Buffalo :)