What's new

Complaints with the Surface Pro

J515OP

Super Moderator
J515OP, when I read this I interpreted it in a certain way and want to make sure I understand. Did you mean to say:

1. It's good strategy for companies to be dishonest
2. Companies should never admit mistakes
2. Customers should feel good about companies that they feel mislead them
3. That people are not already saying Microsoft bungled the Surface Pro launch.

Does that sound right?

C

Nope, not quite.

1. There is a difference between being dishonest and not telling everybody everything. Companies frequently do both and to think otherwise is naive. Does anybody know to this day how many Kindle devices Amazon ever sold?

2. Never is a strong word. Sometimes companies do sometimes they don't.

3. People feel good about companies that mislead them all the time (Apple and Google immediately come to mind). That is sort of irrelevant though and I don't think it's the point you want to get at. What specifically is making you feel misled that MS did with the Surface launch?

4. Of course people are already calling the launch bungled. The point is that even if MS had done things differently that doesn't mean they would have avoided the accusations. The attitude seems to be if MS had simply made more units available there wouldn't have been an issue. Of course! Why didn't MS think of that? An example was simply given that in the event a larger supply was not physically possible without more time the responses would likely have been the same.

Better? :)

JP

Edit: For a little perspective on the challenges of launching products http://gigaom.com/2013/03/07/google-launches-and-sells-out-of-a-30-nexus-7-dock/

In the better late than never category, Google introduced a simple dock for its Nexus 7 tablet on Wednesday evening... Sadly, in what’s becoming a recurring theme, the dock is sold out as of Thursday morning... It really shouldn't take a half-year or more to introduce simple accessories for a product. And once they finally arrive, why add insult to injury by not producing enough inventory?

The odd thing to me is that it’s not as if Google doesn't know how many Nexus 7 tablets have been sold. Yes, the tablet can be purchased outside of the Google Play store at some brick-and-mortar retailers, but Google surely keeps track of Nexus 7 activations.

Last edited:

Ruffles

I also feel the launch was kind of a flop. What I can't understand is why companies don't learn that MOST important thing is communication. It really doesn't matter if the product has a problem or will be delayed. The only thing that determines if I'm pissed at a company or not is how they communicate with me.

I've been waiting on my replacement Surface for 2 weeks. It was supposed to arrive in 3 days. It took calling almost every day after the first week and being escalated to "Care" support to finally get someone at MS to even reply and admit the issue. If they had simply said, demand is stronger than we thought and we ran out. We expect some next x. and we'll ship yours on y, I'd been fine. I wouldn't have bugged them again. And if y arrived and they couldn't deliver, simply contact me again and explain the situation.

MS isn't the only company at fault here. I've been involved with the infamous Nikon D800 auto focus issue (Nikon has refused to admit there is a problem). It took 2 months of complaints/threats after 3 failed attempts by Nikon to fix my camera. They finally just gave me a new one but told me I'm dead to them and they never want to hear from me again. Now, I hate them and won't recommend them to anyone (after spending over $30k and being a fanboy for 25 years). If they had simply said, we know there's an issue, we're working on it, and we promise we'll make this right, I'd have been fine and as patient as needed.

I don't think customers expect perfect products or think that there will never be issues. What we do expect is honest, open communication.

Arizona Willie

It only took 5 days to get mine --- not a month or two.

Microsoft will undoubtedly open more stores over time. Do you believe that Apple opened 250 stores on the same day?

But online ordering direct from Microsoft worked perfectly. Plus mine came directly from Microsoft's warehouse instead of going from Microsoft to the jobber to the wholesaler then to the retailer. Being handled and tossed round at every step of the distribution process.

We're a month on from launch, and you are in a big city. The Microsoft stores generally had decent stock; however there are less than 40 MS stores in the US compared to 250 Apple stores. Most of the country doesn't have one nearby.

The other difference is that, again, with Apple, you could place an order and generally have one the day of launch or within a week or so afterwards; waiting a month or two not necessary.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I also feel the launch was kind of a flop. What I can't understand is why companies don't learn that MOST important thing is communication. It really doesn't matter if the product has a problem or will be delayed. The only thing that determines if I'm pissed at a company or not is how they communicate with me...

Try telling that to shareholders ;) Yes, there are very real consequences to being overly forthcoming with information. This is why we don't get many firm dates or detailed explanations from any company on things like this.

I do totally understand and agree with your point that good communication through customer service is important. This seems to be a mixed bag with any company and specifically regarding the Surface some have had great care while others feel like they have been given the run around. I have never personally run an international company but I can reasonably guess that international product launches involving millions of first generation units is a very difficult task. I don't think there is any doubt the launch of the Pro could have gone better but we can only speculate what might have worked and how to fix the issues. On the back end of that managing customer service when things don't go right seems to be equally difficult (especially when all companies try to do this as cheaply as possible). It is far easier to count the very few companies who have good customer service than the thousands who don't. On the whole MS seems to be doing an adequate to good job in this regard.

Last edited:

kingbobyjr

It does not fit on airline trays...

How and why would Microsoft design a device to be used while traveling that does not fit on economy seat trays?

OUCH!

This is just not true...

I just got back from flying last week on an Airbus A320 and an Embraer 190 and had no issues on the economy seat trays with my Surface pro with the Type keyboard...even with the person in front of me reclining in their seat.

HD_Dude

This is just not true...

I just got back from flying last week on an Airbus A320 and an Embraer 190 and had no issues on the economy seat trays with my Surface pro with the Type keyboard...even with the person in front of me reclining in their seat.

+1

When I read the post about how the Surface would not fit on an airline tray, I thought the writer was just being funny - not serious, because it obviously fits on an airline tray. Even fits perfectly on the bulkhead trays, which pull out of your seat armrest and fold out. Just did a roundtrip to Chicago, and had a blast with the Surface.

If he really was being serious...he's either flying only on Cessnas, or he has the one, unique, prototype 22" Surface out there.

kristalsoldier

+1

If he really was being serious...he's either flying only on Cessnas, or he has the one, unique, prototype 22" Surface out there.

Without wanting to appear disparaging, it's probably a microlight! Can't say I have faced this problem either with my RT on short-haul commuter flights at my current location.