What's new

Concerns and a Warning

T-Bob

I have been loving my Surface 2 Pro while using it, but I have now had several instances of weird power issues. The battery charger connects perfectly, lights, and the unit shows charging, but the % stays at 0 and never charges. I reboot and same problem. I call tech support and they walk me through the same steps I already tried from the Microsoft support website- no change. They are sending me a new unit.

WARNING FOLLOWS:
I began to doubt this purchase as it is only 1 month old and it was over $1200 (256/8). I just have a bad feeling that something this premium should not have basic charging issues and the lack of user access to the battery means this could be an ongoing challenge in the future. I called to return my tablet and was told by the STORE that I could return no problem but that since I had an open ticket in service they would have to transfer me there. I was on hold for over 90 minutes. Service then told me I could not return the unit because I purchased it over 30 days ago. I explained that I received it exactly 30 days ago and they said too bad- the policy is date of PURCHASE. So if you are having doubts, be careful.

I will escalate and see where I get.

cali

Thank you for this useful warning. For that kind of money there should be a better return policy.

OP
T

T-Bob

Note that the return policy is now relaxed for the holidays so if you buy after November 27th you have more time

leo153

They are sending me a new unit...
30 day return...

Sounds to me that MS is cooperating (without lip service from phone rep).
Here's Crapples return:

There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased from the U.S. Apple Online Store:
You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.

14 days is insane!

Here is the whole policy:
Apple Help - Returns and Refund - Apple Store (U.S.)

Last edited:

Jasmine

I had the same issue. The percentage doesn't update....

Mine is also the 256/8 version, and I'm also getting a replacement... Hmm... Mine is only a few days old though.

oion

This is a "warning" that should be common sense, to be honest, and up to the consumer to know ahead of time. I always check the receipt and invoice for the return policies--who doesn't do that? (I'm doing this out of amusement--)

Hewlett Packard:
The HP Home & Home Office Store will accept product returns and exchanges up to 21 days after delivery, except on opened, boxed software, Designjet Z2100 series Printers, HP Color LaserJet CP6015dn Printer, and excluding gift cards except where required by law. After the 21 day period has ended, support for defective merchandise will be provided by HP customer care.

Lenovo:
Lenovo will accept the return or exchange of a Product in its original package for a full refund in cases of Lenovo error (*see gift card policy below). Returns allowed for any other reason will be subject to a restocking fee equal to 15% of the purchase amount (*see gift card policy below). All returns must be initiated within 21 days of the invoice date.

Sony:
Sony's return policy allows for most products purchased directly from Sony and shipped to locations in the United States to be returned by you within 30 days from date of shipment by Sony for a refund of purchase price actually paid. Products must be returned in the original packaging, along with all accessories, components and product literature.

Apple:
See above.

Amazon:
You can return any Kindle device you purchased directly from Amazon.com for a full refund within 30 days of the day you received it as long as it's in new condition and the return is in accordance with our return policy.

Asus:
The ASUS Shop store is happy to accept returns of purchased items within 14 days of receiving them with the exception of opened software products.

Dell:
21-Day Return Period for Certain Products and Accessories: Unless you have a separate agreement with Dell, or except as provided below, all hardware, accessories, peripherals, parts may be returned within 21 days from the date on the packing slip or invoice for a credit or a refund of the purchase price paid, less shipping and handling, and any applicable restocking fees (as further described below).

Acer (ebay store, not sure about a corp U.S. presence?):
All items offer a 14-day return policy beginning on the item delivery date.

Razer:
Our Returns & Refund Policy is limited to products purchased directly from our Razer Online Store and the procedure for returns must be initiated within 30 days on all peripherals and 14 days on computer and gaming systems from the date the item was purchased.

Toshiba:
An RMA must be requested within fifteen (15) days after Customer receives the product and all products must be returned to TAIS within ten (10) days of receipt of the RMA number.

In other words, there is nothing exceptional about Microsoft's return-refund policy. It's actually one of the better ones.

kozak79

Check your credit card return policy. American Express lets you return within 90 days any product purchased even if the manufacturer won't take it back. They will also refund any restocking fees.

OP
T

T-Bob

Update

Check your credit card return policy. American Express lets you return within 90 days any product purchased even if the manufacturer won't take it back. They will also refund any restocking fees.

Good thought, but I have been talking to Microsoft Service and Microsoft Store support all week and will I think have an update to provide soon. The short version is that if you get your issue elevated high enough, they have a 15 day grace period they can add to the stated period. Just to reply to the posts above:

1. I never said MS policy was bad or inferior to others, just wanted to make certain everyone knew what it was in case they were nearing 30 days.
2. It is in fact a very generous policy
3. The call centers at both the Store and the Service Side are staffed by very friendly and nice people who desperately need training and better integrated systems. I should not have to spend 90 minutes on hold just to start over again when my call is escalated.
4. Tips to make life easy with MS:
a. Use Evernote or OneNote or some easy notepad to keep all of your info in one place. This includes your Order Numbers, your dates of purchase and receipt, etc. You will be asked for these a lot
b. Use the verifyme website to generate the code FOR the CSR instead of waiting for them to e-mail you- MUCH quicker. See https://verifyme.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scrx=1
c. Goes without saying but always smile over the phone, even when you want to scream. Trust that the CSRs are doing their best​

drolem

I have been loving my Surface 2 Pro while using it, but I have now had several instances of weird power issues. The battery charger connects perfectly, lights, and the unit shows charging, but the % stays at 0 and never charges. I reboot and same problem.
This is most likely a communication issue between various subsystems.

Did you try a hard reset?

X3n0n

I have this problem sometimes, but it disapears with a shutdown/start or a reboot (this is not the same thing).

OP
T

T-Bob

Yes

This is most likely a communication issue between various subsystems.

Did you try a hard reset?

I did multiple soft and hard resets. It fixed it some times and others it did not. There is no rhyme no reason to it that I can find. I will say that in all cases the problem EVENTUALLY resolves, but I am uncomfortable waiting (in one case) a whole day with multiple resets for the issue to resolve. I need to be able to run this on battery or it is not what I need it to be and while it was reporting 0% it shuts off immediately when disconnected from AC.

drolem

In theory 0% should show at most for a couple of minutes, and then it should report the correct value.

If it doesn't report a value other than 0% after 5 minutes, you can try disconnecting AC power, let the unit hibernate, reconnect AC, and then power it back up.
Another thing to try is power it down with only AC power connected, wait about 5 - 10 mins to charge the battery a bit more, then disconnect AC power and wait at least 20 minutes, then power it back on.

What do you have connected when this happens? Did you look into Device Mangler to see if something is banged out? Are there any errors in the event log?