What's new

Condition of Replacement Units

Ruffles

Can anyone who has received a Surface from MS via warranty comment on its condition? In the article at Surface Pro: Broken Windows & Out of Warranty Repair Costs | CRASHCTRL, it states:

"There have already been a number of full replacements for many at the Microsoft community forum who have had the bad luck to receive an initial unit that became stuck in the Secure Boot Loader loop or whose machine is having a crisis of faith due to a Firmware Panic. I have not yet heard from any stating that they ran a utility to inspect the partitions for insecurely erased data but a number who received replacements, stated emphatically that their units were obvious refurbs. Some stated that the machine began exhibiting the same issues as their prior machines or had scratches or slight markings and others stated that the casing was loose in parts. Those are sure signs of obviously refurbished machines."

I'm already furious for waiting almost 2 weeks for my "advanced" replacement with no sign of my order being fulfilled. If it shows up in anything less than the perfect, pristine, condition of the one that I bought new only 2 weeks ago, I think I'll blow my top. Seriously, at this point I'm debating just buying another from Staples and returning the defective one.

lip

My surface pro replacement was brand new.
I haven't turned it on yet as I'm waiting for a body cover

jacewt

I was told by Microsoft that they are not doing advanced replacement anymore because of stock. Essentially, they wait for you to return it because then they have a Surface in hand before they release another one. She told me that many were returned for issues that were fixed with software updates. I would return it, they are not really fixing those returned surfaces.

daov

Howdy,

Author of that article here. If you go to the answered and unanswered areas of the Surface Pro community forum, you will find a few mentions of this occurring, which is why I put it out there for all to see. Poor replacement policy if it is happening on a large scale. I have not experienced this but then again, I have experienced no issues with my Surface Pro so far and have had no reason to return it.

The main crux of the article I wanted to push was that the Complete warranty option is worth it if you can still get it.

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Howdy,

Author of that article here. If you go to the answered and unanswered areas of the Surface Pro community forum, you will find a few mentions of this occurring, which is why I put it out there for all to see. Poor replacement policy if it is happening on a large scale. I have not experienced this but then again, I have experienced no issues with my Surface Pro so far and have had no reason to return it.

The main crux of the article I wanted to push was that the Complete warranty option is worth it if you can still get it.

Thanks for the comment and the articles on your site. I did purchase the Complete warranty so long term, I've covered. I just finally got an email from my "Care" rep who my case was escalated to (after 3 previously unanswered emails). He confirmed they are having inventory problems but said they expected a shipment today and that my replacement should ship tomorrow or Friday. Considering that 128 GB Surface Pro's are in short supply everywhere, perhaps the shipment he is referring to is a bunch of new tablets, some of which to be withheld for warranty purposes. MS is supposed to call me this afternoon so hopefully I'll learn more.

malberttoo

I shipped my defective 128GB Pro to them on Mon Mar 4th, they received it Tues AM. The status on myservice.surface.com was changed to "Service center is processing the order" on Thursday the 7th. I also was told Advance replacement was not an option at this time due to stock issues.

I really hope they get a new one out to me soon. I waited a while in the first place to get mine from Microsoft, then only had it for 3 days, the whole time the wireless card getting worse and worse until finally becoming unusable.

It was super painful to have to give it up after only just receiving it!!

-Michael

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

I spent an hour on the phone with MS on Friday. They still couldn't give me any idea when my replacement would come. In the end, I told them I'd return my Surface to Best Buy where I purchased it. As luck would have it, they had just received 9 Surface Pro 128's so they happily did an exchange. Now, the next part of my saga is to get MS to cancel the replacement on the first tablet and transfer my extended warranty to the new one. I also get to call my other software vendors such as Adobe and try to get them to activate my programs as everything is tied to the old tablet :(.

clownzer

Has anyone received their replacement yet?

They have had mine since yesterday morning and I was wondering how long the process takes and what was actually received back from them. Mine was sent to Laredo Texas.

heather70732

Mine still has not come and it was sent Feb 25. I got a letter last Thurs saying mine would be sent at the end of the week , and Monday when I spoke with them I was told it was due to be sent , and I should get it Friday. Today is Thurs so we will see. I am sorely disappointed in the lack of customer service, and if I had not already paid for my pro I would have canceled. My pro was sent in because it would not read my micro sd card!