What's new

Condition of Replacement Units

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

I feel for you. If you hadn't already sent it in, I'd say return it to the store and buy another one. That's what I ended up doing. After multiple calls to MS, it simply came down to the fact that no one could tell me when it would be replaced. That is not acceptable when you buy a companies premier product. When other people are receiving new orders placed weeks after we sent ours in for repair, it shows that MS doesn't care about you once they get your money.

tonyz3

Any updates? still waiting on mine. :(
As my late grandpa used to say..." the squeaky wheel get the oil" If you are not already you need to call them and make them tell you to stop calling so much.. . More annoying than dealing with an issue on a new toy, is dealing with an issue like waiting for a replacement. You paid a lot for that toy....I would be calling everyday. And asking for supervisors. That's just me.

Stryker336

Let's see. I drove 1 hour to the DE store on March 13th in the hopes they would replace it in store. After waiting about 45 minutes for them to start the service order they would not replace it. First they said they didn't have any in stock, but then it was that they couldn't replace it in store because they had no "service replacements" in the store. I had no choice but to ship it out and they said they would overnight it to the repair facility. I had hoped that I would have it in the next 5 days for a business trip but that clearly wasn't even close to a reality.

Skip forward 2 weeks and it took over a week for their "overnight" shipping to even arrive to the service facility. Since last Thursday, March 21st it's been at "Service center is processing the order" despite the email saying it would be shipped in 2-3 days. I contacted support over live chat and all I got out of them was that it hasn't shipped yet. Gee, thanks! She couldn't even tell me if it would be shipped overnight or ground back to me.

So from being lied to about 1. overnight shipping taking 1 week and 2. clearly surpassing the 2-3 days shipping from the repair facility, I'm very disappointed. If anyone thinks their repairs will be timely, think again. I bet by time I get it, it'll be close to 4 weeks from having it shipped from the store.

So if anyone thinks driving to the nearest store 1+ hour away is a good idea in hopes of a replacement is a good idea, it isn't.

quixoteloco

ha! good to know! I sent in my pro for replacement and have my fingers crossed. It is supposed to be an exchange so I was thinking about driving to the store which was an hour and a half for the exchange but I am glad I didn't! btw, can anyone tell us if they got new units or refurbished units ?

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

I got my replacement today (that I no longer need). It came in a plain cardboard box without any stylus or charger. I have no way of knowing if it's a refurb or not but its in absolute pristine condition. If I hadn't already exchanged my defective tablet, I would have no issue with the one that MS sent for replacement. I'll be sending this one back tomorrow and I hope MS doesn't screw anything up since they will be receiving the same one back and not the defective unit (the serial number won't be what they are expecting).

Hmmmm

I've posted a longer rant in another thread but one of the stickers on the brown box should say "DESG: Repaired". These ones are refurbish.

I'm sending my SP1 128 in tomorrow (yellow discoloration along vertical borders of screen) and will hopefully update with my experience next week.

I just received my replacement in the mail today :) The device was 99% FLAWLESS !!! The screen is PERFECT and there are only 2 noticeable marks, one around the charging port and another where the keyboard connects which are common wear spots anyway. Overall I am quite satisfied with the condition since my original surface also had a perfect screen and only minor scuffs from taking it in/out of its travel case.

It did already have 8.1 Pro installed and there is 96GB of space free, 7GB more than I remember my original Surface had.

I wish everyone a smooth and speedy exchange in the future!

Hmmmm

Overall I am quite satisfied with the condition since my original surface also had a perfect screen and only minor scuffs from taking it in/out of its travel case.

I'm truly glad to hear you were happy with your exchange.

It did already have 8.1 Pro installed and there is 96GB of space free, 7GB more than I remember my original Surface had.

Maybe Microsoft finally got too many complaints about 8.1 not being installed on its refurbished replacements to ignore. Would you care to share images of the stickers on the box? I'll do the same and it will be interesting to compare notes. If you do, scrub out any identifying numbers/addresses etc on the stickers. I've already posted this pic on another thread:

Repaired refurbishment - Copy.jpg

Wish I had have taken some pics of the condition of the refurb replacement; from memory I didn't. Microsoft asked me to take pics of the cosmetic damage to 'help' their future customer service provisions. I failed to see how it would do so, given I had already offered tonnes of help and they ignored all of it, plus I'd already read threads on this forum from a year ago with the same complaints, so I refused. I asked if it would 'help' taking a photo of the Windows button which was also faulty but the guy couldn't give me a response to that one. Yeah, I was being petty, but I was fed up.