What's new

Solved Confused about Office 365

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The confusion is coming from you thinking Office 365 runs in "The Cloud", only the backend runs in the Cloud, the application installs and runs locally. There is not a special Online Version it is the same as the one from the OneDrive Web interface which is a simplified version that allows the most simple of editing.
No, Office Online is Office Online across the board. It is identical to buying the shrink-wrapped version except the licensing is different as it is purchased as a subscription, stop the subscription and you lose your license.
Now you've confused me. If editing isn't the same I'm going with different versions in practice.

Last edited:
OP
L

Liam2349

The confusion is coming from you thinking Office 365 runs in "The Cloud", only the backend runs in the Cloud, the application installs and runs locally. There is not a special Online Version it is the same as the one from the OneDrive Web interface which is a simplified version that allows the most simple of editing.

Ok I see. Hopefully some day they will include full-featured web apps for 365 subscribers, then I would buy into it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Now you've confused me. If editing isn't the same I'm going with different versions in practice.
Sorry....the "It is identical to buying the shrink-wrapped version except the licensing is different as it is purchased as a subscription, stop the subscription and you lose your license..." is Office 365 vs. Shrink-wrapped not Office Online

lparsons21

Sorry....the "It is identical to buying the shrink-wrapped version except the licensing is different as it is purchased as a subscription, stop the subscription and you lose your license..." is Office 365 vs. Shrink-wrapped not Office Online
No it isn't.
The Office Online is there for anyone that goes to the OneDrive site and registers. Even the ones that just get the free space. No differences in that whether you subscribe to Office365, take only the free, or use the shrink wrapped 2013.

Office365 is a subscription model which includes a license to all the Office 2013 applications, unlimited OneDrive cloud space, and with most if not all 60 minutes of Skype phone calls a month. Included with the subscription is if Office is updated/upgraded, you get it as long as you have the subscription.

Figuring you can get Office365 for about $70 or less, it is a steal if you buy into cloud storage, and a great deal for a family if you get Office365 home premium which covers 5 machines or 5 users or a mix of those. In fact if it is 5 users, each gets unlimited OneDrive storage and I think each gets the 60 minutes of Skype phone calls, I might be wrong about that though.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No it isn't.
The Office Online is there for anyone that goes to the OneDrive site and registers. Even the ones that just get the free space. No differences in that whether you subscribe to Office365, take only the free, or use the shrink wrapped 2013.

Office365 is a subscription model which includes a license to all the Office 2013 applications, unlimited OneDrive cloud space, and with most if not all 60 minutes of Skype phone calls a month. Included with the subscription is if Office is updated/upgraded, you get it as long as you have the subscription.

Figuring you can get Office365 for about $70 or less, it is a steal if you buy into cloud storage, and a great deal for a family if you get Office365 home premium which covers 5 machines or 5 users or a mix of those. In fact if it is 5 users, each gets unlimited OneDrive storage and I think each gets the 60 minutes of Skype phone calls, I might be wrong about that though.
Correct....you're quoting only one part of the conversation....Office Online is the same as I said whether you access on the Consumer Side (OneDrive) or Commercial (SharePoint Online) it has the same features in either place.

What you were quoting is Office 365 vs. Office 2013, the versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote are identical....

lparsons21

That's part of what I was asking about. I was hoping that by subscribing to Office 365, I would get access to fully-fledged web apps. If Google includes an equation editor, I don't see why Microsoft can't.

I suppose it isn't because they can't, they just don't want to. The Office web apps are generally considered as stripped down versions that have enough features for casual users of those apps. I think they do a great job of that.

But since MS is in the software business, I doubt they will ever have a free, fully featured web app available. They are hoping and wanting those that need more, to either buy a shrink-wrapped version or subscribe to Office365.

Google does what it does the way they do it because none of it matters to them as long as you provide them with all your information that they can sell. They've been pretty upfront about that as far back as I can remember.

enthuz

That's part of what I was asking about. I was hoping that by subscribing to Office 365, I would get access to fully-fledged web apps. If Google includes an equation editor, I don't see why Microsoft can't.

As for Office 365, it is the full office apps. I use it for all of my heavy office needs. I was concerned about it too, but I'm happy with it's performance thus far.

OP
L

Liam2349

I suppose it isn't because they can't, they just don't want to. The Office web apps are generally considered as stripped down versions that have enough features for casual users of those apps. I think they do a great job of that.

But since MS is in the software business, I doubt they will ever have a free, fully featured web app available. They are hoping and wanting those that need more, to either buy a shrink-wrapped version or subscribe to Office365.

Google does what it does the way they do it because none of it matters to them as long as you provide them with all your information that they can sell. They've been pretty upfront about that as far back as I can remember.

I'm not asking them to make it free. I'm asking them to include a set of full-featured web apps with 365, and have a different set of web apps for free users.

I'm prevented from collaborating on the web apps in real-time sometimes because they don't have the features I need. I'd absolutely buy into a better web app suite. It would also be nice to use when I sign into a computer that's not mine.