What's new

Connect Surface Book to DESKTOP PC for use as third monitor

Melissa836

I just purchased a Surface Book 2. I would like to use it at work as a third monitor, but am stumped as to how to connect it.

I have a desktop PC, currently with two monitors. My PC does not support miracast or connecting wirelessly.

People have suggested the surface dock, but as my surface is not my work computer I am guessing that you can't use the dock and the desktop PC together?

Installing a third party app isn't really an option, since our IT department blocks most downloads.

I'm hoping there is a magic cable out there, but I am not tech savvy enough to know which one will make it work.!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Unlikely to find a solution, since you would need a desktop sharing connection on both computers. This can be don’t with a service such as a WebEx session, but your work computer would need to have the security permission to share its display.

A Surface Book display (screen, or “clipboard”) is not merely a monitor. The screen IS the computer. The keyboard is mostly just the primary battery.

OP
M

Melissa836

Unlikely to find a solution, since you would need a desktop sharing connection on both computers. This can be don’t with a service such as a WebEx session, but your work computer would need to have the security permission to share its display.

A Surface Book display (screen, or “clipboard”) is not merely a monitor. The screen IS the computer. The keyboard is mostly just the primary battery.

I realize it's not a monitor. I thought it might be possible since my coworker was able to project my surface to his computer using miracast, but that's because his primary computer is a laptop and not a PC.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, sure.

You can add a USB dongle to a PC - there are a few products available, but they all require software installation on the desktop to share your display to the dongle.

OP
M

Melissa836

Is there a particular USB dongle/software you'd recommend? That might be something I could get our IT department to at least look at letting me install on my desktop.