What's new

connect to tv to watch streaming shows /w no mouse or keyboard

glasstraxx

Hi just bought a mini display port adapter to hdmi for my gf's surface pro.

she is not very tech savy so i want to set it up for so there is minimal steps required to watch streaming shows on the TV.

at the moment i am simply duplicating the screens which is fine but the show is still playing on the surface while on the tv.

i tried to swipe from right and click project to second display but it looks like i need a mouse to accept this change and I dont want to have to use a keyboard or mouse.

is there a really simple way to connect the surface to the tv and then browse web and find a video to watch through the touch screen then hit the play button and then display to the TV and turn of the surface's touch screen

cheers

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Extending the monitor would require a keyboard and mouse because the Touch Screen only registers on the Surface....

You would need to DNLA Device that supports "Play To" like the Xbox 360 or Xbox One.

OP
G

glasstraxx

hi thanks for the response. i assume DNLA is some kind of wireless device which casts the screen to the TV? if so i already tried chrome cast which worst really well, but the main problem is it rapes my bandwidth so i cant game while she watches tv.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why don't you want to use a keyboard or mouse out of curiosity? To me it sounds like having to cast every video manually would be a complete pain and very inconvenient. HTPC's are a big market for a reason.

In this situation, given your desires, it just doesn't make sense to me. You basically want to use your surface as a keyboard and mouse in an awkward HTPC setup, instead of just buying a cheap keyboard with a trackpad (or even something palm sized like the dinovo mini) and having a fluid user experience.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why don't you want to use a keyboard or mouse out of curiosity? To me it sounds like having to cast every video manually would be a complete pain and very inconvenient. HTPC's are a big market for a reason.

In this situation, given your desires, it just doesn't make sense to me. You basically want to use your surface as a keyboard and mouse in an awkward HTPC setup, instead of just buying a cheap keyboard with a trackpad (or even something palm sized like the dinovo mini) and having a fluid user experience.

I think the OP wants to extend the device to the TV for streaming content while using the Surface for web surfing and/or gaming....

hi thanks for the response. i assume DNLA is some kind of wireless device which casts the screen to the TV? if so i already tried chrome cast which worst really well, but the main problem is it rapes my bandwidth so i cant game while she watches tv.

DNLA is an industry standard that allows devices such as TVs, Game Consoles or even Blu-ray Players to receive the streaming content. Chromecast is a proprietary implementation of DNLA that requires Google APIs to function.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the OP wants to extend the device to the TV for streaming content while using the Surface for web surfing and/or gaming....

That is how I had originally read it, but it was the last line about turning off the surfaces touch screen that threw me. Plus he said it's his gf's surface so chances are he is gaming on something else. Just curious. I've been using my Sp3 as an HTPC all summer with a Bluetooth keyboard with track pad, and it is just great, seems strange to want to essentially take a step back in functionality (I can understand if it is for cost reasons, you've got to work with what you have)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is how I had originally read it, but it was the last line about turning off the surfaces touch screen that threw me. Plus he said it's his gf's surface so chances are he is gaming on something else. Just curious. I've been using my Sp3 as an HTPC all summer with a Bluetooth keyboard with track pad, and it is just great, seems strange to want to essentially take a step back in functionality (I can understand if it is for cost reasons, you've got to work with what you have)
I always reserve the right to be wrong :D

OP
G

glasstraxx

haha thanks for the responses guys! I totally agree with you hughlle... but this was her reply when i read her you comment...

"why should i have to use keyboard & mouse? if i wanted to do that i would of bought a laptop and not a TABLET!!!!"

hahaha...shes such a little bitch lol..... ah well ill have a look into a cheap keayboard mouse combo...

at the moment she's just extending the display and faces the surface away form her ... i guess it shouldnt damage it that much by leaving the surface screen on...

cheers for the help../.

kundas1

just get her this keyboard and mouse pad built together, works great as I just got one for myself as I use an HTPC... super easy to use and if she has problems with that then she's high maintenance and not worth to keep! LOL

Microsoft-Mouse-and-Keyboard-Center-620x616.png