What's new

Connected to wifi but can't access internet

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@rico,

Do you have a range extender on your network? If you do, shut it down, and see if that is the device your modem is trying to connect with.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay.

Suggestion:
Could you try changing your router security from WPA to WPA2, or vice-versa.

Question:
Do you use a static public IP address (a permanent, fixed address)?

rico

Thanks sharpuser. I will try changing WPA to WPA2 when I have a bit more time and report back.

I'm not sure about the static IP address -- I think that is something that requires some manual configuration, right? I am just using whatever the default settings on the Orbi router are.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Your service provider can assign a static address. If you don’t know about it, you probably don’t have one.

Just like not being aware that you have a Maserati.

rico

Okay.

Suggestion:
Could you try changing your router security from WPA to WPA2, or vice-versa.

Question:
Do you use a static public IP address (a permanent, fixed address)?

Finally had time to try this. The router was already set on WPA2, so I changed it to WPA. Unfortunately no change.

Your service provider can assign a static address. If you don’t know about it, you probably don’t have one.

Just like not being aware that you have a Maserati.

Very nice.

I'm certainly interested in an easy switch to a Maserati!

What kind of Maserati benefits are we talking about? And would this solve my SP3-Orbi issue?

Thanks.

How is your back-haul configured on the Orbi? Mesh or Star?

In the advanced wireless setting, under "Backhaul topology," the box is checked for "Enable daisy-chain topology" -- so I think that means it's a mesh configuration? (Not sure about that.)

Thanks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@rico,

You can return your router to WPA2, of course.

Have you connected directly to the router with a cable? Try that, so any addressing problem can be revealed. Then try wireless again.