What's new

Solved connected to wifi but no internet access

Claraw641

I recently got a surface 3 in the mail from the Microsoft store. I absolutely love it, but there's a big issue that's been bugging me.

Sometimes when I turn on my surface, I can't get on the Internet. It says I am connected to the wifi network, but no internet pages will load. Every other device connected to this network works perfectly. I can't switch networks because my house only has one.

The only fix I have found for this problem is to turn it off and leave it off for a long period of time. When I turn it back on, it usually works fine. However, I'll need my surface for school in a few weeks and I want to be able to get on the Internet whenever I need it.

I'm very frustrated and this problem is keeping me from truly enjoying my surface experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Claraw641 ,

We need to get you some relief.
You may be having a conflict with the future IPV6 (Internet Protocol Version 6).

Do this:

1) Right-mouse click on the WiFi icon
2) Open Network and Sharing Center
3) Change Adapter Settings
4) Right-mouse click on your adapter, Settings
5) Uncheck the box marked "Internet Protocol Version 6...", OK, exit, etc...
6) Restart Windows

If that does not help, then do this:

1) Right-mouse click on the WiFi icon
2) Open Network and Sharing Center
3) Change Adapter Settings
4) Right-mouse click on your adapter, Disable
5) Right-mouse click on your adapter, Delete
6) Restart Windows

Let us know...

Screenshot (155).png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If you get it working by unchecking the Internet Protocol Version 6... line, try enabling it again. The hardware may be 're-provisioned' to be okay.

Wilock

Hey all, I am having a similar issue with my wife's SPro3, although our problem has only happened this once and we can't get internet back (although the wifi is connected). It just says "Limited" internet, even though all our other devices (both wired and wireless) are connecting just fine and speed test confirms our internet is performing normally. I have restarted our router, restarted the Surface, and downloaded the newest SurfacePro3_Win10_150915_0 drivers and installed them. Nothing changed. I then followed the instructions in this post to disable IPv6 (+restart). That also didn't work. I then disabled the adapter as instructed, but the option to delete it is greyed out. So, thus far, I'm out of options. Is there anything else I can try?

jarodag99

You ever figure this out? My WiFi works great at home but at work it won't allow Internet access (not restricted at all). My Samsung 6e+ connects fine. I've tried the above and no luck. Same issue with not being able to delete adapter also

Jvas21

I am having this same wifi issue however I had no luck using the first fix listed above. When performing the second option on the 5th step, I cannot click on the delete option after right clicking on my adapter. If someone can please help me resolve this issue that would be great.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Jvas21,

It takes a bit of time (about 1 minute) for an adapter to be disabled, before it can be deleted. Try deleting it again?

Jvas21

I just turned on my surface pro 3 to try again and I noticed that my wifi is functioning properly now. I guess it doesn't always fix right away? Well thank you so much for the solution above!

malcolm341

I'm having the same issue, Surface Pro 3 can't stay connected to wireless network for more than about 5 seconds. My iphone can connect to the wireless network indefinately, the Surface used to be able to connect just fine, then about a year ago it just stopped working.

I got so mad the other day I clicked the refresh my pc button, highly don't recommend. This reverted my pc back to win 8 and took about a day to get back to win 10 with all the updates.

It then worked fine and connected to wifi for a couple weeks and now it's broken again, connects to the wifi for about 5 seconds, then goes offline for 15, then connects again for about 5. I have ruled out all variables this is absolutely the Surfrace Pro that is broken because it has the same issue on other wifi networks. I've tried the suggestions here and about 20 other forum posts because this problem is very common, and nothing works. How do I get this device to stay connected to wifi.