What's new

Connecting SP2 to a Wireless Display: Has anyone done this yet?

deldalton

I came across the following article on Microsoft's website ... Connect Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 to a TV, monitor or projector

The article suggests that you can connect your Surface Pro 2 to a wireless display.

Has anyone tried this yet? If so, did you have any problems connecting to the wireless displays or was it really easy to setup?

It would be incredibly useful to be able to do this. And, even better if I could connect to more than one wireless display at any time. I'm just curious to know more and if there's any requirements that the displays need for me to be able to use them?

Kiri

I use the Netgear PTV3000 for both my Pro 2 and my Surface 2, works well with the latest Firmware.

Thanks for the product reference! I saw it on amazon with average reviews so wanted to ask you something. In your experience, if I were to stream 1080p movies, would it play as smooth as if I plugged it into the tv via mini-displayport?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the product reference! I saw it on amazon with average reviews so wanted to ask you something. In your experience, if I were to stream 1080p movies, would it play as smooth as if I plugged it into the tv via mini-displayport?

Surface 2 or Pro 2? The Pro 2 streams fine as long as you don't watch it as well on the Surface Screen as there still a slight lag between them, if all you are watching is the TV then it looks and sounds fine. With the latest firmware the Surface 2 is experiencing some screen tearing but I haven't rebooted the PTV3000 to see if that might fix it.

Kiri

Surface 2 or Pro 2? The Pro 2 streams fine as long as you don't watch it as well on the Surface Screen as there still a slight lag between them, if all you are watching is the TV then it looks and sounds fine. With the latest firmware the Surface 2 is experiencing some screen tearing but I haven't rebooted the PTV3000 to see if that might fix it.

Awesome! Glad to hear that. I'll be using it on my Pro 2. Thanks =)

Omni

I didn't realise the Surface 2 supported micracast. Hoping a bit but does the RT support it now?