What's new

Connecting SP2 to a Wireless Display: Has anyone done this yet?

olidex9

Just received my Netgear pvt3000 today and after struggling a bit with updating the driver everything works great. Very minor latency with mouse cursor.

However, I am confused about the audio when in extend mode. It seems that whatever audio is running on the Surface is automatically played on the extended screen (my TV), regardless of video output on the TV. Is this normal or how do I control which audio goes where?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just received my Netgear pvt3000 today and after struggling a bit with updating the driver everything works great. Very minor latency with mouse cursor.

However, I am confused about the audio when in extend mode. It seems that whatever audio is running on the Surface is automatically played on the extended screen (my TV), regardless of video output on the TV. Is this normal or how do I control which audio goes where?

What you are seeing is by design, as it is Wireless HDMI which includes Audio... you can change it by right clicking the Speaker Icon on the desktop in the task tray (by the clock) and select Playback devices and chose the built in speaker.

olidex9

What you are seeing is by design, as it is Wireless HDMI which includes Audio... you can change it by right clicking the Speaker Icon on the desktop in the task tray (by the clock) and select Playback devices and chose the built in speaker.

Thanks for the reply. I can see both the TV and the internal speaker, but I am unable to direct the sound to the internal. Both speakers are enabled, but the sound only goes to the TV. Any suggestions?

In any case, is it at all possible to play two different audio sources at the same time using the Netgear PTV3000, ie. a movie on the TV and music/game/whatever on the Surface via built-in speakers or head set?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You unable to Select "Speakers" (Realtek High Definition Audio)? Did you disable them previously? If so right click on a Blank Spot in the CP and make sure Show Disabled Devices is checked.

olidex9

You unable to Select "Speakers" (Realtek High Definition Audio)? Did you disable them previously? If so right click on a Blank Spot in the CP and make sure Show Disabled Devices is checked.

I can select both speakers, but it appears that whichever speaker I set as default play backs the audio, regardless of which screen is displaying the sound source. Then I can also select default communication device, but this has no apparent impact on the audio.

So, I am able to select which device plays the audio, independent of display, but I have yet to figure out how to play back two different audio sources at the same time but on separate devices/displays - ideally with sound matching image:). Is this possible at all? Curiously, I am able to play back the sound of both screens through the same device, thus getting a commingled audio stream (!).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, it is one or the other, Miracast is exactly like when you plug into a HDMI Flat Panel TV, you can either mirror the display or extend the display.

bluegrass

Don't know what Miracast is but I purchased the following Nyrius ARIES Prime Digital Wireless HDMI Transmitter & Receiver System for HD 1080p 3D Video Streaming, Laptops... by Nyrius for my original RT & SP and it works fine. Haven't tried it yet on my new SP2.

olidex9

Nope, it is one or the other, Miracast is exactly like when you plug into a HDMI Flat Panel TV, you can either mirror the display or extend the display.

Ok, thanks for your advise. Much appreciated. I guess my dream scenario of letting my daughter watch youtube on the surface while I was watching a movie on the extended screen (tv) is not going to happen.

Any idea why this is not possible? Since it is possible to play two sound sources (eg. youtube and Music app) simultaneously, why cant the audio be split to separate devices (Surface and TV)?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know of any computing system that has independent audio out to separate video outs except for a Virtual Computer setup that uses a single Server Infrastructure that then has DisplayLink USB Terminals, it is targeted a educational institutions.

Omni

Ok, thanks for your advise. Much appreciated. I guess my dream scenario of letting my daughter watch youtube on the surface while I was watching a movie on the extended screen (tv) is not going to happen.

Any idea why this is not possible? Since it is possible to play two sound sources (eg. youtube and Music app) simultaneously, why cant the audio be split to separate devices (Surface and TV)?

I do that now via the device charm. You need a TV that is PlayTo certified (Can force it to work on most TVs though) and connected to the same network as the Surface. I can send a film to the TV and do anything on the surface and it doesn't effect it at all.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Good call Omni - I forgot about DNLA Support, I was so focused on Miracast and Wireless HDMI.

Omni

Thanks. If olidex9 hadn't posted exactly what he wanted I wouldn't have thought of it either. Windows 8 works great for DNLA. So easy to send things over to the TV. :)