What's new

Connecting SP2 to a Wireless Display: Has anyone done this yet?

olidex9

Really appreciate the help I get in this forum! To quickly summarize, as per jnjroach´s explanation, I cannot use my PTV3000 to send video+audio to the extended screen and then see and hear different video+audio on my Surface (different video, yes, but not audio). Whereas using PlayTo via DNLA, I would be able to achieve this, as brought up by Omni. I fail to understand why, but at least I know what features are available.

Now, the share charm and PlayTo only works within Metro apps. So streaming through XBMC via PlayTo is not possible, as this run in desk top mode/legacy app. Instead I thought of using my PTV3000 and project the XBMC stream to the TV by extending the screen. But then it turns out that I am unable to project desk top/legacy apps or programs to my TV using extension. It only works if I duplicate. And then there is no way to get the sound to play through my TV!

Am I missing something?

I suspect it is due to Win8.1 having integrated the widi/miracast and by this somehow excluding legacy programs from using this project feature. I tried to run Intel Widi legacy program from the desktop, as explained in a tutorial for Windows 7 & 8 I found on Intels web page, as I assume computers running Windows 7 & 8 are able to project non-metro apps, including sound. But I am unable to find anything other than a link to the Device charm when searching my PC.

Any ideas?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Miracast/WiDi are actually using the PTV3000 as an additional external monitor (Wireless HDMI) where DNLA is streaming the bits to the DNLA Capable Device that interprets the bits to show on the screen (you're not streaming the entire system just the media). The PlayTo feature uses the Modern UI APIs. The Legacy Win32 Software would need to have DNLA Support built into the program.

Last edited:

olidex9

Do you think it would be possible to use the PTV3000/widi in a "pre-8.1" mode, ie. bypassing the device charm/project-modus that only allows modern apps to be projected/extended? Maybe using another driver? At least it must have been possible at some point, as the PTV3000 works with older versions of Windows when modern UI didnt exist.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The PTV3000 works quite well with Windows 8.x both on the desktop and in the Modern UI, it just can't do split streaming, you need a DNLA device to do that. I've used WiDi since its launched and it has always been a wireless external HDMI monitor. Once you use the charms button and chose devices..... project.... and select the Wireless Display it acts just like plugging it into an external monitor. It does not and has never supported streaming a specific App (The Play-To), that is decided at the Application Level even under Windows 7.