What's new

Connecting Surface 2/ RT to Win 8 Phone & Desktop Win 8 PC

kristalsoldier

Hi...

From what I have read, it is not possible to connect the Surface 2 to either a Win 8 Phone or to the desktop PC (running some variant of Win 8) using a USB cable.network

So, this leaves two options for connecting: (1) via SkyDrive and (2) through shared folders over a network.

Isn't this a bit limiting? And, if my surmises regarding this is correct (which it very well may not be), then is there any hope/ chance that a feature like this will be instituted in the short-term?

I note that I can connect my Nexus10 effortlessly over USB with my Win 8 desktop machine, but have not yet tried it to connect it with the Surface 2.

Thanks!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Phone 8 has a Modern UI App for you to manage it, music pictures and files, works on x86 or RT.

Thanks. For some reason I was always under the impression that the Windows Phone app did not work on ARM. Now the remaining question is looking through the Surface 2 by hooking it up to my Win 8 desktop machine? Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

stlewis

From what I have worked out (my Surface 2 is tucked away unopened so I have some excitement on Christmas morning ;) ), you can use Remote Desktop if your main PC is running Windows Pro - then you can appear to run desktop applications from your Surface. Or you can network the Surface over wifi (or with the ethernet adapter) and then open any compatible files.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

From what I have worked out (my Surface 2 is tucked away unopened so I have some excitement on Christmas morning ;) ), you can use Remote Desktop if your main PC is running Windows Pro - then you can appear to run desktop applications from your Surface. Or you can network the Surface over wifi (or with the ethernet adapter) and then open any compatible files.

Yep...that's what I know too. But it would be nice to also be able to connect the Surface to a desktop machine through a simple USB cable. I am not sure this is possible. Will try it as soon as get back into my study.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of the areas that the Surface RT/2 is in that uneasy middle ground, as it treated as any other Windows Computer but is still a companion device for many. But the MS vision is SkyDrive and/or SkyDrive Pro for this functionality.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

This is one of the areas that the Surface RT/2 is in that uneasy middle ground, as it treated as any other Windows Computer but is still a companion device for many. But the MS vision is SkyDrive and/or SkyDrive Pro for this functionality.

Hmmm...thanks. MS's assumption here is not on sound ground in my opinion. What if there are no connectivity options? Or, what if connectivity is not good enough and I want to move, say 2-3 GB of videos/ music? You see what I mean!!!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use a Network Attached Storage Device on my Home Network for central storage for all of us. Also this where having the ability to move files and folders via a USB Drive adds that additional functionality.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I use a Network Attached Storage Device on my Home Network for central storage for all of us. Also this where having the ability to move files and folders via a USB Drive adds that additional functionality.

I see. But wouldn't the RT consider the desktop machine as a USB device (with some added functionality) or vice versa?