What's new

Considering a SP4

bill-e

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a new tablet. I previously had a Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LTE which was just recently stolen so I want another 12" tablet.

I'm considering the Surface because I am a hobby photographer and as long as I'm buying, I'd like to get something that can run Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC.

Price is only a minor consideration so I've been eyeing the i7/16/256 configuration but am not married to that.

Can anyone report on PS and LR on the i5/8/256 platform?

Honestly, if you folks think an i5 runs PS and LR well, I might also wait and take a look at the new Samsung 12" Galaxy Book which is out this summer with an i5/8/256/LTE configuration.

Comments welcome

Thanks
Bill

Philtastic

I've found LR to be slower than I'd like on my Core i5/8 GB/256 GB, especially if you start adding a lot of regional edit. It works and is still fast enough to not be too annoying, but I try to do all of my photo editing on my desktop if I can avoid using my SP4.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recommend dropping the extra money on the i7 - I own one and its a beast of a machine. I have used mine to convert large video files and it shreds them without even getting hot. Let us know which way you go..... Thanks

OP
B

bill-e

I'm awaiting an insurance payout for a stolen Note Pro 12.2 LTE and I'm a bit torn between replacing that with the new Tab S3 LTE when it comes out or the Pro 4 i7. We do a lot of camping and for wasting away the hours sitting under pine trees drinking beer the Android tablet with LTE is great. I'm considering the SP4 because when I'm home I never use the tablet, I sit in front of my desktop so I'm thinking that the SP4 might be the way to go and then purchase a cheaper tablet for when I just want the simplicity of using apps.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

MickeyLittle

The only setup I see so far for the Galaxy Book LTE on Samsung's site is for i5, 4GB ram, 128 SSD, and Verizon for $1299 which is kinda steep in my opinion and will not do the kind of computing you mention in your first post.

Sketch (6).png

OP
B

bill-e

Yea, I may pick it up anyway since they have the restocking fee waived. I'd be happy if I could just use lightroom reasonably well and if their battery claims are more realistic than the SP$ it may be a good compromise.

I don't really need a big i7 but know the m3 won't be powerful enough. I'd be happier if it was 8g but if they will let me play with it for 15 days like they do with a phone and not charge restocking I have nothing to loose.....and to be honest, all the issues I see online with the SP4 have caused me pause.

MickeyLittle

Don't forget these issues you read about may seem like a lot but on forums most people who join and post are doing so because they have a problem and a lot of them are not experienced users, IE myself!

But from what I've seen Microsoft has corrected most issues and the SP4 is a very stable unit. Now for the Galaxy Book who knows since it may be a 2nd edition to the Tab Pro S but with the rename it may be an animal on its own and for most 1st generation products they are not known to be very stable!

OP
B

bill-e

Thanks, I'm a long time message board user and I agree with your assessment on who posts and also agree with your statement about 1st gen.

Putting aside possible issues, what I dont like about the SP4 is that it doesnt really feel like a tablet and it doesn't have LTE. I will want to actually feel the Samsung and see if it is closer to my old Note pro 12 which I really liked and would be buying it again if it was offered (I dont like to buy used)

The price isn't all that bad on the Samsung considering it comes with the keyboard and LTE but I do wish it had 8g of ram.

I was looking at the SP4/16/256 because when I by I have a difficult time not going overboard, not so much that I really need that much power/heat.

I'm still undecided but if I pick up the Samsung and they do really offer a trial period with no restocking fee and it will run Lightroom reasonably well, it is really probably all I need and will save me a few hundred bucks to boot. If the SP4 had LTE I probably wouldn't be considering the Samsung...also like the Samsung's USB-C ports.

We'll see what it looks like and then decide. Thanks for the comments
Bill

MickeyLittle

I hear you Bill. You know I had the Note Pro 12.2 and am still upset with Samsung for not updating that beast of a tablet. It was ahead of it's time but just fell behind due to its hardware.

It was still the best tablet I ever owned besides the iPad Pro 12.9 and that only because of the iPad's very fast processor!

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm awaiting an insurance payout for a stolen Note Pro 12.2 LTE and I'm a bit torn between replacing that with the new Tab S3 LTE when it comes out or the Pro 4 i7. We do a lot of camping and for wasting away the hours sitting under pine trees drinking beer the Android tablet with LTE is great. I'm considering the SP4 because when I'm home I never use the tablet, I sit in front of my desktop so I'm thinking that the SP4 might be the way to go and then purchase a cheaper tablet for when I just want the simplicity of using apps.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Pardon my shortness as I'm on my phone - but you can always connect to LTE / 4G using your phones internet. I use my SP4 around the house constantly - I barely fire up my desktop anymore. Tough call, but another blah blah tablet vs. a beast of a Windows 10 tablet. Easy call for me. Let us know what you decide. Thanks.

OP
B

bill-e

MikemanSP4, I hear you and that's the most difficult part for me. I love buying beasts ;) but I really don't have a need for a beast. No matter what I buy I'll still use my desktop and monitors for most photo work and sitting on the couch I probably don't need a beast to surf the web.

It will all come down to how well the i5 runs and how convenient I feel it is to use for casual work. I'm also even considering the SP4 and a less expensive android tablet with LTE.

What I don't like about using my phone as a hotspot is that I spend a lot of time in airports and it's a PITA tu use the hotspot that way.

I'm more undecided the more I talk about it ;)

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
MikemanSP4, I hear you and that's the most difficult part for me. I love buying beasts ;) but I really don't have a need for a beast. No matter what I buy I'll still use my desktop and monitors for most photo work and sitting on the couch I probably don't need a beast to surf the web.

It will all come down to how well the i5 runs and how convenient I feel it is to use for casual work. I'm also even considering the SP4 and a less expensive android tablet with LTE.

What I don't like about using my phone as a hotspot is that I spend a lot of time in airports and it's a PITA tu use the hotspot that way.

I'm more undecided the more I talk about it ;)

I feel you on the undecided part - its a tough choice when money is involved. What made it an easy choice for me is the overall versatility of the SP4 as opposed to a tablet. I have had a few tablets with Android over the years, and while they are nice to have, they just don't pack what a Windows machine does. For me, I really didn't think I would replace my desktop with the Surface Pro - there is just "no-way", but after hours of use, and the overall "ease of use", my kick A$$ desktop that is a mega beast sits idle.

You mentioned airports - From my experience almost every airport has a variety of hotspot's that you can just jump on board with. Sure, having built in LTE would be awesome, but then you have the data plan to think about. Unless its unlimited, it would be time to count your megabytes of data and worry about going over your plans limits. Its been awhile since I lived in the US, so I don't know how much unlimited plans cost anymore - but you should add that into the overall cost when pricing out your choices.

I can only speak from years of experience. Since the dawn of the Radio-Shack TRS-80 I have owned a PC of one sort or the other. And since laptops came out, I have almost always had one or two. (I have an ASUS gaming rig sitting idle too) - I can only say this..... I swear by the Surface Pro 4. It outperforms any tablet, and hangs tough with even the best of laptops. I like it for it's versatility and mobility. You might not need a beast - I don't "need" 8 cylinders - but they are nice to have when its time to pass. Anyhow - I am sure you will make the choice that is right for you. I just wanted to attest to the SP4's really good points, and that its practically replaced all of my PC's in terms of overall use.

I am so curious which way you decide to go - if you have time, please let us know. Best of luck with your decision.