What's new

Considering a SP4

OP
B

bill-e

I'm on a business trip and I got to look at a Galaxy Book in a Fairfax, VA Verizon store.

I cant talk about performance because I was just clicking through some suff in the store but from a look and feel perspective, it is definately a tablet, much more than the SP4 is.

The display looks nice but not having an SP4 sitting side by side or one of my hi res photos to zoom in on I cant tell which is better but the Galaxy book is certainly good.

I couldn't actually hold the GB without the keyboard attached because of the way it was alarmed. One thing I'm concerned with is how the keyboard connects. I believe it is a normal USB type connector which may be prone to loosening up and failing but I really couldn't tell.

Some of the features I like are the 5000+mah battery with quick charging, Stylus with 4096 pressure points (doesnt really mean much to me) and tilt detection (this does)

I certainly prefer it's look and feel over the surface. From recollection only it appears to weigh less than my Note pro 12.2 and feels no bigger. I could see myself using it without the keyboard a lot for leisure stuff.

I havent ruled out the SP4 but this visit has convinced me that I should take one for the 14 day trial which I will order when I get home this weekend (tax here, none at home)

It does only come with Win 10 Home but I don't think that's any issue for the way I'd use it. The 4gig is though and that's what I'll be monitoring during the trial period.

As for the comments about Wifi and LTE. I travel about 40 weeks a year and only my home airport has free wifi, all others have Boingo or the like which require you to sign up. I currently have an LTE line for my Note Pro in suspend with verizon and will reactivate it with this tablet for the trial.

MickeyLittle

I'm on a business trip and I got to look at a Galaxy Book in a Fairfax, VA Verizon store.

I cant talk about performance because I was just clicking through some suff in the store but from a look and feel perspective, it is definately a tablet, much more than the SP4 is.

The display looks nice but not having an SP4 sitting side by side or one of my hi res photos to zoom in on I cant tell which is better but the Galaxy book is certainly good.

I couldn't actually hold the GB without the keyboard attached because of the way it was alarmed. One thing I'm concerned with is how the keyboard connects. I believe it is a normal USB type connector which may be prone to loosening up and failing but I really couldn't tell.

Some of the features I like are the 5000+mah battery with quick charging, Stylus with 4096 pressure points (doesnt really mean much to me) and tilt detection (this does)

I certainly prefer it's look and feel over the surface. From recollection only it appears to weigh less than my Note pro 12.2 and feels no bigger. I could see myself using it without the keyboard a lot for leisure stuff.

I havent ruled out the SP4 but this visit has convinced me that I should take one for the 14 day trial which I will order when I get home this weekend (tax here, none at home)

It does only come with Win 10 Home but I don't think that's any issue for the way I'd use it. The 4gig is though and that's what I'll be monitoring during the trial period.

As for the comments about Wifi and LTE. I travel about 40 weeks a year and only my home airport has free wifi, all others have Boingo or the like which require you to sign up. I currently have an LTE line for my Note Pro in suspend with verizon and will reactivate it with this tablet for the trial.

Thanks for the quick review and it really sounds like the Galaxy Book may be the best option for you and your needs.

OP
B

bill-e

I'm flying home today and there is a Galaxy Book sitting on my kitchen table waiting for me. Verizon is now offering a 30 day return period with waived fee for all their online purchases so that gives me more time to make sure I like it.

I'll post some first impressions sometime this weekend.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

convergent

I'm interested in hearing how it works out for you. I have had my SP4 for about a week and really like it. Seems from your post that there are 3 things that have you pick the GB over SP4 - 1) look and feel, 2) battery size, and 3) LTE. This is all preference, but for me its 1) I like the edgy look of SP4, but it is definitely not as comfortable in the hand as an iPad because of the sharp edge; 2) too early to tell for me, but I usually carry a second battery on trips anyways, and 3) I prefer a wifi tablet because I tether to my phone rather than pay for a second plan.

OP
B

bill-e

I don't have much in the way of details to report yet. I got home and charged the tablet, it went from 53% to 99% in about an hour so it charges pretty fast. The tablet stayed cool during charging.

Turned it on and set it up and then performed 2 windows updates to prepare for the Creators update...downloaded the update tool and updated the tablet..painless.

I installed Lightroom and Photoshop CC editions, imported some photo's and just played for a few seconds. LR does exhibit some minor slowness when processing large raw files but only a half second or so, just enough so you can see the pixelization. Both are very useable.

During all the updates and program installations the tablet stayed cool (not at all like my Droid Turbo 2 which gets hot if you look at it wrong).

Look and feel wise I'm thrilled. It is thinner than my Note Pro and because I'm used to a 12" tablet is a pleasure to hold....those not used to a large tablet would probably find it ungainly to use because it is so large.

Initial thoughts on the keyboard is that I like it and the trackpad, the backlighting works well and it is easy to install or detach.

This indecision is not a money thing, I can afford either device.but so far I've been able to convince myself that the convenience features of the GB are worth more that the power features of the SP4 and that I'm never going to play a game on it or endit 300 hockey photos or such.

convergent

I'm interested in your experience because I'm in the return period on the SP4. One factor that helps me sway to SP4 is being able to go to the Microsoft store if I have a problem.

OP
B

bill-e

I'm interested in your experience because I'm in the return period on the SP4. One factor that helps me sway to SP4 is being able to go to the Microsoft store if I have a problem.
True, one thing that leans me towards the Samsung is the $5/month Verizon warranty. I did use my Samsung warranty once for my Note pro 12.2....they repaired it in less than a day from receipt and they paid shipping both ways...I think I was down for a total of 5 days.

OP
B

bill-e

First day, browsing, installing software, testing. 11am till 11:30pm and still 18% left.

So far I'm loving it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
B

bill-e

So far I'm very happy with it. Would I like 8g or ram, absolutely, but this is a tablet and I don't intend for it to replace my desktop.

What I don't like...the size of the keyboard...I assume the SP4 is the same way. The added trackpad will make this impossible to use in a coach seat. It's just too long to fit on the tray. My Note 4 had a keyboard without trackpad which you would unclip from the 12" tablet and then stand the tablet up in the keyboard. It could fit behind any seat, even an RJ. I actually have a Zagg keyboard that I used with my Note Pro 12 and while it's a hair too big to clip on the face of the GB, it works just fine and is probably what I would use on a plane.

Using the GB as a tablet is growing on me as I'm used to Android. W10 mail is very Android like so I'm using that instead of Thunderbird. Edge isn't all that bad and I'm trying to get used to it. I wish there was a Tapatalk or Mtalk message forum browser but neither are available any longer for Win 10.

So I'm sticking with the GB and my only decision now is whether I return the LTE version and hold out for the 8g wireless which is not available for preorder yet.

convergent

I have not use the SP4 on a plane yet... will be doing that quite a bit. I travel all over the world for business so am on some very long flights. I am not understanding why you think that it won't fit on a seat back tray. The keyboard on the SP4 is not as deep as my MacBook Air keyboard... about 1" inch shorter. Its narrower by a little more than an inch. The keys themselves are exactly the same size. A MacBook Air fits easily on a tray. Personally, I tend to not use the tray for laptop work on a plane if I'm doing a lot of typing and trackpad movement. I do better with it sitting in my lap, tilted up a bit facing me. The kickstand makes this work very well when I've tried it with the SP4. I don't have a trip planned until July, so won't have a chance to do the in plane setup for real until then.

I too have started using W10 Mail and like the way it works via tablet mode. I'm transitioning from Mac Mail. I abandoned Edge because I could never get it to load my bookmarks. I am actually now using Firefox. I use 1Password as a password manager and I am trying to replace my main computer(s) with the SP4. Since I'm not able to log into my work domain with it, I don't have single sign-on and get prompted from time to time for my work credentials. With Firefox, I can respond to the authentication prompts via a keystroke. For the other browsers, they are not able to intervene on the authentication prompts like normal web pages. Firefox is slower but the convenience factor with the authentication prompts moved me there for now.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not use the SP4 on a plane yet... will be doing that quite a bit. I travel all over the world for business so am on some very long flights. I am not understanding why you think that it won't fit on a seat back tray. The keyboard on the SP4 is not as deep as my MacBook Air keyboard... about 1" inch shorter. Its narrower by a little more than an inch. The keys themselves are exactly the same size. A MacBook Air fits easily on a tray. Personally, I tend to not use the tray for laptop work on a plane if I'm doing a lot of typing and trackpad movement. I do better with it sitting in my lap, tilted up a bit facing me. The kickstand makes this work very well when I've tried it with the SP4. I don't have a trip planned until July, so won't have a chance to do the in plane setup for real until then.

I too have started using W10 Mail and like the way it works via tablet mode. I'm transitioning from Mac Mail. I abandoned Edge because I could never get it to load my bookmarks. I am actually now using Firefox. I use 1Password as a password manager and I am trying to replace my main computer(s) with the SP4. Since I'm not able to log into my work domain with it, I don't have single sign-on and get prompted from time to time for my work credentials. With Firefox, I can respond to the authentication prompts via a keystroke. For the other browsers, they are not able to intervene on the authentication prompts like normal web pages. Firefox is slower but the convenience factor with the authentication prompts moved me there for now.
Part of the issue, and I've found this to be the case on trains, is that the kickstand adds a lot to the footprint if you want it at a comfortable angle (especially relevant on a plane if the person in front has reclined their seat). As you say though, when I do need to use the keyboard while on a train etc, it works just fine on the lap.