What's new

Considering a Surface Pro

mitchellvii

I'm so used to playing games with my HD projector on a 12 foot screen that playing on the SP just seems silly. I hate the dumb little Modern UI games.

Games in general aren't nearly as fun since 12 year olds using aimbots and other hacks dominate every online game. Nothing like running and dodging only to get headshot from 300 yards the second you round a corner by some idiot with a sniper rifle and a 60-0 score. I remember the good old days of playing Descent 3 online for hours. Even that got taken over by the cheaters towards the end.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

If you don't care about or need the tablet form factor, then get yourself an ultrabook.

I use my SP on the tray tables all the time with the Type Cover and they fit and work perfectly without any compromises or issues.

kristalsoldier

Decide What your planning to do with your Device ?

Consume or Create

Consume = Ipad , RT or any Android tablets

Create = Any Win8 Pro Tablets. so far SP is the undisputed king of this field (for now at least)

I disagree. I have a RT and I use it primarily for content creation. I use my Nexus 10 for content consumption. It just depends on the app profile that your content creation activities need. Such sweeping statements are not very helpful, IMO, that is.

vinumsv

I disagree. I have a RT and I use it primarily for content creation. I use my Nexus 10 for content consumption. It just depends on the app profile that your content creation activities need. Such sweeping statements are not very helpful, IMO, that is.

I expected this :smile:

When i say create I mean full productivity suites not slim down version of those products ... Like Blender , GIMP , Sculptris and so on

i didn't say you can't do it :D

waxfondler

if the tablet form factor is intriguing to you, i say go for it. but have realistic expectations. i currently run steam on my SP and its pretty solid.
nothing beats getting some work done on illustrator/photoshop, then playing a bit of counter-strike connected to external monitor, then surfing the web on the bed.... on 1 device.
i havent traveled with it yet, so i dont know how it handles on a solid flight.... but ive sketched on it using sketchbook pro at work and never had to be tethered to an outlet (charge it during lunch, then you are good to go for the rest of the day).

Angel

I too am debating this purchase...I really need a lightweight device that I can write programs on like VB, HTML, C+, Oracle, Java, etc. was misled about the TF201 and now I hear about this device. I can't carry a lot of weight and even my netbook can't handle VB 2010 so I'm worried that this would be any better. Any advice?

mitchellvii

Well here's the thing. From everything I am reading, the tablets and ultrabooks coming out in the next 6 months will be INSANELY better than anything available today. Screen resolutions of almost 300 ppi on a 13.3 inch screen, double battery life and double video performance.

My advice? If you can get by with what you have until the new stuff comes out wait for it. The Surface Pro is a great device but it is looking more and more like weak sauce compared to what is coming up. If nothing else, unless the new tech is prohibitively expensive, the price of the SP should be coming down if it can't compete with Haswell.

Angel

Thank you...right now I'm relying on an Asus laptop with a 17 in screen that is heavier than my 4 yr old, since I can't carry it I rely on my oldest to move it for me daily from the storage area to my work area (which is often my bed) and thus far she is forbidden to move out until mom can figure something else out lol so I guess I can wait even if she can't...lol

malberttoo

Well here's the thing. From everything I am reading, the tablets and ultrabooks coming out in the next 6 months will be INSANELY better than anything available today. Screen resolutions of almost 300 ppi on a 13.3 inch screen, double battery life and double video performance.

My advice? If you can get by with what you have until the new stuff comes out wait for it. The Surface Pro is a great device but it is looking more and more like weak sauce compared to what is coming up. If nothing else, unless the new tech is prohibitively expensive, the price of the SP should be coming down if it can't compete with Haswell.

TRUE, but.... at the same time, the Surface Pro will probably have a decent resell value, around when the S-Pro2 is announced, and goes on sale. So if you HAD to have something right now, I suspect you'd get a fair amount of your $$ back when you sell your S-Pro and get the 2. Just my .02...

Spaniard

Millionaires say that the first million changed their lives more than the next ten millions. Surface Pro is the first million, Haswell Surface Pro 2 is the next ten millions.

Inadorel

I find Visual Studio works great on my SP. I am eagerly waiting to see what happens with Haswell though.....

Angel

The more I read the more confused I get...yes MS mat announce Haswell / MS surface pro 2 device in June but how much good is that going to do me if it isn't released until January 2014? Also, I can get a 10% student discount but am being told that all student discounts will expire July 1st so either way I need to decide by then. Really wish there were some deals! What happened to the good old days when they offered you the TV cords, mice, etc if you purchased the tablet and touch cover...lol. Anyways I'm confused by the whole mess! I need light that I can program on.