What's new

Considering ditching my dual 27" monitors for my 75" smart tv as my monitor

kiwigirl

Am I crazy? Heres my situation and why Im actually (totally unexpected!!!) really considering ditching (aka selling) my two 27" LED Sammy monitors and my 2.1 Soundsticks III and my very nice all glass L-shape desk and doubling up my new (bought Nov 2014) 75" Sammy smart TV as not just my TV but my monitor.

I have nothing in my living room, all my toys are in my bedroom. I dont even have a couch, cause I prefer to be laying down in bed vs on a couch when watching a movie, gaming, etc.

I have a dual 32" 1440P monitor setup at work, plus a 27" imac, which I sit at a desk for about 38 out of 40 hours every week. As you can imagine, it can be exhausting. The last thing I want when I come home, is to sit at my own desk! So over the past couple years Ive noticed that, Mon-Fri, I pretty much never use my very nice monitor and speaker setup at home unless I absolutely have to. I usually use my SP3 in tablet mode in bed to read and web surf. I will only sit at the desk on weekends.

But even on the weekends, Ive been inclined to use and sit at my desk. It has been really bothering me over the past year, having about $600 tied up on two very nice monitors and a speaker setup and desk and chair, to only use it...maybe once or twice a week, if that...and even then it would be maybe an hour or two. I sit at the desk, then find I want to hop in bed again. I will admit though, my desk and chair still is very comfortable. I just feel that my job is killing the spirit for me. But if say, I wasnt working today...then chances of me even considering selling off my desk setup is 0%.

So just the other day I decided I was going to connect my SP3 to the 75" tv that is in my room and I sit/lay 9ft from it. Let me tell you, I didnt love it at first but once I had my settings and scaling all perfect, it was heaven! I fell in love with it the more I used it. Everything is nice and big (but not too big) and I can read perfectly. But what has impressed me is how sharp it is! It just pretty much as sharp as on my monitors! Let me tell you one thing! There is no experience like watching youtube or web surfing on a massive 75" LED tv that no monitor can give you! haha it is absolutely out of this world, ball **** crazy!!!

The thing is, Im wondering if Im just thinking and acting irrationally right now. I want to make sure I do the right thing. Selling off my monitors and speakers and desk will return a good chunk of money back into my pocket. But I dont want to end up regretting it down the road and buy it all back again. I dont want to miss the desk setup.

The simpliest thing I did was ask myself...."Could I live without my desk setup?" Absolutely, no question. "Would I want to?" Not 100% sure.

Another thing that really concerns me is the ergonomics on the body when using a keyboard and mouse in bed. I cant imagine it would be good for your body long term. Cause if this is the case, then Im not willing to risk my health and risk any possible future strains or pain down the road. Cause what I will be getting right now in my pocket from selling off the gear, would be all going back (if not more) to chiros and physios later. Not worth it.

I mean look at all the people today who have back pain, wrist, joint pain and strain from sitting at a desk all day at their office job. Sitting at a desk all day, 5 days a week is a lot of strain on the body! Thats why posture and taking breaks is so key so that your body doesnt develop carpel tunnel syndrome or joint pain down the road! So thats an office job, now just imagine doing this in bed. It cant be good on the body can it?

What do you think are still the pros on having a desk setup at home, even if only used seldomly?

Has anyone here ditched their desk? Or know anyone? What do you think I should do?

Is it still ideal to compute on monitors in a desk setup vs the bed?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no way I could do that, my back would be in knots before the end of day one. I think your eyes will have a hard time focusing the menu at a restaurant or anything close.

OP
K

kiwigirl

There's no way I could do that, my back would be in knots before the end of day one. I think your eyes will have a hard time focusing the menu at a restaurant or anything close.

Thats what Im worried about too. It cant be good on the eyes at all, even though everything is super sharp. I will admit, the tv is absolutely huge. Good for watching video, but probably not good (health wise) for reading.

B.E.McAllister

Why not forget the desk for a month, try it out and see. If you go a month and enjoy it, sale everything. If you go back to your desk, well at least it's still there then.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use both. I keep a cheap and cheerful 24" samsung monitor on my desk for when doing serious work, however for 95% of the time i just use a 42" tv as my monitor in the same way you do, lying in bed, comfortable. I have done this for the past 6 years and couldn't imagine browsing the internet and all that lot sat upright at a desk.

6 years of this, and no eye or back issues for me, but then everyone is different so i don't think my own experience is really worth anything.

I wouldn't be able to cope not having my tv as my main display, but i also wouldn't be able to cop[e without that desk and monitor for the occasions that demand it. I was recently in the market for a pair of 27" displays for my desk but realised that it would be a bit of a wasted expenditure.

tuxnjeans

So, here's another option to consider, kiwigirl. Two years ago I ditched the traditional desk in my office and started using a treadmill desk. It has a large, flat work surface for whatever keyboard/mouse/computer/speakers setup I'm using and low enough treadmill settings (starting at 0.4 mph on up) to make it very easy to simultaneously walk and type at low speed. I usually do my computer work at 1.8 mph. It also has much higher speed settings so it can be used as a traditional treadmill.

You could mount a flat screen TV on the wall in front of it or position it at a comfortable viewing distance from your 75" monster screen, but I just use the flat work surface for a monitor. This has become my primary workstation. I no longer have any back pain and I can easily put in five or more miles of slow-speed exercise in a day by just walking while working without even being aware of it. After a few moments at slow speed, I simply forget I'm on the treadmill and do my work.

In case you're intrigued by the idea, here's a link to the one I have: http://www.lifespanfitness.com/tr800-dt5-treadmill-desk .

Yeah, it's a bit expensive, but I figure my health is worth the cost, not to mention eliminating my "couldn't-get-to-the-gym guilt" now that I'm getting all the exercise I need. I've even lost weight as well. YMMV. BTW - I have no financial interest in the Life Span product(s)...just sharing my experience. There are many other treadmill desks out there as well as this one.

If you Google treadmill desks, I think you'll find the health benefits of using them vs. sitting at a desk all day are pretty well documented. It might seem like an off-the-wall idea or a fad, but I know that it has worked wonders for me. Something to think about. I know I'll never go back to using a traditional, sedentary desk again. Good luck and I hope you find the right solution that works well for you!

OP
K

kiwigirl

Thanks for all the feedback. Ive decided against ditching my desk and keeping my dual 27" monitors. Im just not willing to give up the dual monitor setup. I use dual monitors at work and want to keep it the same for at home (even if I dont use it nearly as much). But I felt the 75" (though very nice) was just too big for a monitor haha.

And I just dont think its worth the health risk ergonomically by computing with a keyboard and mouse in bed.

tuxnjeans

Could you post pictures? I am very curious :D

I could post some pics but honestly the pics on the link I put in my post are much better than anything I could produce. If they don't give you what you want though, let me know and I'll try to be a photographer.

Arizona Willie

A few years ago I bought an electric desk that raises up and down. Thought I would stand for 15 minutes and sit for 15 minutes.

Yeah, right.

I never raise it up.

Well hardly ever.

I've wondered if there was a treadmill thing that would fit under this electric desk --- but to be honest with myself it would probably be just like the electric desk. Unused.

But it's an intriguing idea.
==========

So, here's another option to consider, kiwigirl. Two years ago I ditched the traditional desk in my office and started using a treadmill desk. It has a large, flat work surface for whatever keyboard/mouse/computer/speakers setup I'm using and low enough treadmill settings (starting at 0.4 mph on up) to make it very easy to simultaneously walk and type at low speed. I usually do my computer work at 1.8 mph. It also has much higher speed settings so it can be used as a traditional treadmill.

You could mount a flat screen TV on the wall in front of it or position it at a comfortable viewing distance from your 75" monster screen, but I just use the flat work surface for a monitor. This has become my primary workstation. I no longer have any back pain and I can easily put in five or more miles of slow-speed exercise in a day by just walking while working without even being aware of it. After a few moments at slow speed, I simply forget I'm on the treadmill and do my work.

In case you're intrigued by the idea, here's a link to the one I have: http://www.lifespanfitness.com/tr800-dt5-treadmill-desk .

Yeah, it's a bit expensive, but I figure my health is worth the cost, not to mention eliminating my "couldn't-get-to-the-gym guilt" now that I'm getting all the exercise I need. I've even lost weight as well. YMMV. BTW - I have no financial interest in the Life Span product(s)...just sharing my experience. There are many other treadmill desks out there as well as this one.

If you Google treadmill desks, I think you'll find the health benefits of using them vs. sitting at a desk all day are pretty well documented. It might seem like an off-the-wall idea or a fad, but I know that it has worked wonders for me. Something to think about. I know I'll never go back to using a traditional, sedentary desk again. Good luck and I hope you find the right solution that works well for you!