What's new

Constant freezing when put to sleep

scion676

I've had the Pro 3 (i5 256) since it came out and this problem has occurred rarely up until the last couple of weeks where it's noticeably increased in frequency. About 60-70% of the time, when I try to put the device connected standby by closing the type cover, or using the power button, or going into metro and clicking on power -> sleep, the device immediately locks up and becomes unresponsive with the screen still on. I have to hold down power for 7 or so seconds to shut it down and then power it back up from cold boot. This is exceedingly frustrating as I cannot leave any of my work open in fear of losing my progress as a result of freezing.

I'm not sure if a recent update/patch is causing this but I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations short of wiping the device (as a last resort)!

-Scion676

Sven

Is restoring from a recovery image (clean setup) an option at all ? Not quick but at least then you have a baseline point to see if it does it from factory default, then run all updates and monitor.

Nikd1

I am having the same issue with my surface pro 3. was happening in windows 8.1, still after upgraded to windows 10 and after all updates and firmware updates, still struggling. at the moment I have had to turn off the standby mode which is quite upsetting as it is one of the best surface pro 3 features!!

did you fix yours? was was the problem, what did you do? I have run sleepstudy and find the surface gets stuck running a wifi process while going into standby which locks it up and drains the battery http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...face-regularly-freezes-connected-standby.html

fingers are crossed you have some advice!

malberttoo

I am having the same issue with my surface pro 3. was happening in windows 8.1, still after upgraded to windows 10 and after all updates and firmware updates, still struggling. at the moment I have had to turn off the standby mode which is quite upsetting as it is one of the best surface pro 3 features!!

did you fix yours? was was the problem, what did you do? I have run sleepstudy and find the surface gets stuck running a wifi process while going into standby which locks it up and drains the battery http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...face-regularly-freezes-connected-standby.html

fingers are crossed you have some advice!

Welcome to the forum Nikd1!

The same thing happened to me yesterday, but it's the first time it has happened. I opened the SP3 3 hours after the time displayed on the screen, did a hard reboot and all was well. I used it off and on throughout the day (putting in CS by closing the TypeCover) and didn't have any more issues. I'm on 8.1.

You mentioned that you upgraded to 10, you may want to consider doing a clean install to 10, it does wonders for eliminating past issues.

ScottyS

. . . the device immediately locks up and becomes unresponsive with the screen still on. I have to hold down power for 7 or so seconds to shut it down and then power it back up from cold boot. . .
Do you mean the screen with your desktop and icons is still on (but frozen) or do you mean the screen's backlight is on but the screen is black. This later issue has been happening in Win10TP coming out of standby and the fix is to either plug in the power cord if unplugged or unplug power cord if it is plugged in.

malberttoo

Do you mean the screen with your desktop and icons is still on (but frozen) or do you mean the screen's backlight is on but the screen is black. This later issue has been happening in Win10TP coming out of standby and the fix is to either plug in the power cord if unplugged or unplug power cord if it is plugged in.

For me, I opened the cover to find the screen already on, with the "lock screen" that you have with the date and time on it before you get to the login screen. The time was 3 hours old, and that machine was completely hung/frozen.