What's new

constant on and off

puma

I know the surface pro 2 is billed as a tablet/laptop but is it designed for constant on/off just like you would say with an ipad? Or should someone try to limit using it in this way?

GoodBytes

I know the surface pro 2 is billed as a tablet/laptop but is it designed for constant on/off just like you would say with an ipad? Or should someone try to limit using it in this way?

I don't understand what you mean. But if you wonder if you put the device to sleep and wake up all the time, yes you can, that is what, by default, closing the keyboard and power button does.
Just expect that, on average, once a week, you'll need to restart the system for Windows Updates. You'll have a notification on the login screen in yellow text about needing to restart.

After a long period in sleep, the system will hibernate automatically. This is done to conserve battery, further.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface RT and Surface 2 have the same Instant On of the iPad or Android, The Pro is much more comparable to the MacBook Air... but more flexible than the MacBook.

amk.

There is no problem with turning it on/off 100000x times if you want.

Just be sure to be using Sleep and not Hibernation :)

The Pro does not have Connected Standby, but it comes fast enough from sleep to be used like a normal tablet.

benjitek

...Just be sure to be using Sleep and not Hibernation...
I found that when using Sleep-mode, I often experienced issues when powering on -- often locking up and requiring I reboot my SP2. Someone here suggested using Hibernate instead, which I tried -- I haven't experienced a lockup since and thanks to the SSD, 'waking' from Hibernate takes no time at all :)

amk.

I found that when using Sleep-mode, I often experienced issues when powering on -- often locking up and requiring I reboot my SP2. Someone here suggested using Hibernate instead, which I tried -- I haven't experienced a lockup since and thanks to the SSD, 'waking' from Hibernate takes no time at all :)

If you are going to be sleping/waking up the Surface like the OP says, using hibernate, you are going to destroy your SSD. It really does not matter if you only Hibernate 5- 10 times a day. Do it like your normal Android/IOs tablet.. and that will be the hell of a wear on a SSD. If your Surface works like it should, go for Sleep.

The issue with the sleep mode is another different story (this being the reason my SP2 is on its way back to MS ;) )

benjitek

...using hibernate you are going to destroy your SSD. It really does not matter if you only Hibernate 5- 10 times a day...
More of an issue with 1st & 2nd gen SSD's than 3rd gen and beyond -- regardless, I'm going to get 7-10 years of use from the 512GB Samsung SSD that's in my SP2 whether I use hibernate or not. Thanks though ;-)

Last edited:

CreativeLemming

Second what benjitek said, hibernate 5 times a day won't kill your SSD (it's a linear write anyway, which is nice to the media)

Last edited:

amk.

Second what benjitek said, hibernate 5 times a day won't kill your SSD (it's a linear write anyway, which is nice to the media)

Thats what I said :p

Its not good _ONLY_ if you really use it like the OP said. Hibernate on and off 20+ times a day just to check the time, just like you would do with your normal Android tablet.

Last edited: