What's new

Constant ticking/clicking noises

Felix

Hey guys and girls,

I've recently purchased an SP 6 i5 model /fanless and I'm now having the second device that Shows the exact same Problem: The device constantly emits a faint clicking/ticking noise from inside the Chassis every 6 seconds or so - even when it's in Energy saving mode with the type cover on top. I've already tried all sort of Things like deinstalling the Audio Drivers and reinstalling them, reinstalling new Audio Drivers, changing several Audio Settings (e.g. disabling 'enrichment'; see everything here: https://support.microsoft.com/cs-cz...ubleshoot-surface-sound-and-audio-accessories) and making several photos as I've read on the Internet that the camera lens might be stuck which is causing this Problem. However, None of it helped and I really don't want to have a functioning device. Do you have any clues what this might be and how I could fix this?

Cheers
Felix

OP
F

Felix

Update: Disabling Realtek High Definition Audio in the device Manager causes the Problem to disappear. However, I also no longer have any wanted Sound.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @Felix

A guess:
Try re-enabling your Realtek Audio, but turning off your microphone. Maybe this will reveal that it is the microphone causing the problem.

OP
F

Felix

It's a brilliant guess, but apparently it's not the microphone: Disabling it in either the Sound menu or the device manger doesn't change anythimg.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Does the problem occur on battery as well as charger?

Do you feel vibration of the click on the Surface case (surface) ?

OP
F

Felix

It appears on both ocassions, but there is only some Kind of magnetic charge/increased resistance during charging (but no Vibration though).

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Could you carefully check if the clicking is coming from the screen, or exactly from where.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Do you notice your SP6 clicks when cool (just starting up) as often as when warm?

Wondering if you are hearing some kind of expansion due to heat.