What's new

Convince me that the Dock is worth the money

OP
K

kiwigirl

The sound output device automatically switches when connected to the dock and vice-versa.

The dock won't solve your multi-monitor scaling issues - you'll need to buy a high-DPI external monitor to completely alleviate scaling problems. I have a 27" Dell P2715Q 4K monitor attached to the docking station; at 4K, the resolution is high enough that it uses the same DPI scaling percentage as the Surface's screen. In short, I don't have any scaling issues with this setup and I'm finally happy! You can even run two 4K screens by using the dock's connector plus the Surface's connector (I actually tried this today).

Thanks, forsure not gonna buy it cause if I still have to sign out and back in each time, then its pointless. Besides I would want to run my 2nd monitor on the SP3 Mini DP and from what I see you would have the vertical latches of the dock wide so that the mini DP plug can plug into the SP3. Looks like bad design choice to me. MS should have had the port go right through the right side of the dock latch.

Afterall, plugging and unplugging 4 cords for me isnt a big deal and it takes me 5secs. Just the scaling issues, having to sign out each time and the sound output is whats really tedious. The sound I just dont get how the SP3 fails to convert to ext speakers when it reads that they are connected. Like wtf is that? Really hard to believe that this is a 2015 computer with a 2015 OS.

I have great monitors and im not going to go and buy new monitors just for the scaling issues. I even tried my SP3 on my older two monitors and same thing. This issue is hugely widespread and Ive never had an issue with scaling when I had a mac, running on these same monitors so **** MS. They can kiss my *** as far as Im concerned.

OP
K

kiwigirl

It sounds like you need a second USB hub so that you leave your desk setup connected to it then you only need to plug in three cables: power, 1 USB connection, display port.

A USB 3.0 dock would be a better solution then you only need to connect two cables; power and 1 USB connection. You could connect both monitors to it and all other devices: printer, Ethernet, external HDD, kybd & mouse. They are even small enough you could take it with you although less practical. Taking the MS Dock with you is illogical, does not compute.

A USB 3.0 Dock is a reasonable tradeoff to the bulky and pricey MS Dock and if you also have a laptop it would work with that too. This single bullet solution can be had for under $100.

IF MS had made the keyboard connector a USB 3.0 instead of a USB 1.0 connector they could have made a more compact and less expensive dock similar to the Dell Venue 11 Pro dock but that isn't the case. Sorry I'm in the It's not worth it camp.

Even with a USB 3.0 dock, I still need to plug in 4 cables - USB dock, power, speakers and mini DP monitor. Unless you know of a dock that has an actual speaker output and mini DP. If so, id be very interested.

talon90

There seem to be some good reviews of this one. I had found this while doing my research in to a docking solution. You will still need to plug in the dock and plug in your SP3 AC adapter as this doesn't charge but it offers video and audio out connections along with additional USB ports. You should read through the reviews to see the issues others have reported but it might be a good middle ground for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3...&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+3.0+dock+with+dual+video

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even with a USB 3.0 dock, I still need to plug in 4 cables - USB dock, power, speakers and mini DP monitor. Unless you know of a dock that has an actual speaker output and mini DP. If so, id be very interested.
Um, what dock doesn't have speaker connections?
The DP is a matter of choice, you can connect dual monitors thru a USB dock without DP.

However, ask and you shall receive.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...8&qid=1423151104&sr=8-1&keywords=USB3DOCKHDPC

This appears to be fairly new, I didn't even know it existed till a few minutes ago... although I had heard there was a new DisplayLink chipset which this seems to be using... and its a bit pricier than the garden variety USB docks. The price is likely partly the new factor, 4k support, and partly the DP connection.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's another interesting entry in the USB docking station lineup.
The Dell™ Docking Station - USB 3.0 connects your laptop to up to three additional monitors, various external devices and the Internet with a single cable. Supports one 4k monitor and two full HD monitors.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...T&cid=262075&lid=4742361&acd=1230980794501410

Quick Specs
Product Type
USB docking station
spacer.gif

Networking
Gigabit Ethernet

Expansion / Connectivity
Interfaces
  • 2 x USB 2.0 - 4 pin USB Type A
  • 3 x SuperSpeed USB 3.0 - 9 pin USB Type A
  • 1 x network - RJ-45
  • 1 x display / video - DisplayPort output - 20 pin DisplayPort
  • 2 x display / video - HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A
  • 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
  • 1 x audio - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

UPDATE: Available on Amazon for $125 at the moment
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Display-UltraHD-Universal-D3100/dp/B00O0M46KO

Last edited:
OP
K

kiwigirl

There seem to be some good reviews of this one. I had found this while doing my research in to a docking solution. You will still need to plug in the dock and plug in your SP3 AC adapter as this doesn't charge but it offers video and audio out connections along with additional USB ports. You should read through the reviews to see the issues others have reported but it might be a good middle ground for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3...&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+3.0+dock+with+dual+video

WOW $140!

How resource heavy would it be to run two monitors off a USB hub? Id imagine more than what im using to run just my 2nd off my USB Diamond video card using the DisplayLink drivers.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It all depends on the total resolution (sum of resolutions of all monitors) because DisplayLink compresses the data to send over USB. My monitors only go up to 1920 x 1200 so its not noticeable. Its probably only noticeable if your doing something intensive. Then would you be doing that on multiple monitors at the same time or only one??? I don't always use both monitors.

OP
K

kiwigirl

It all depends on the total resolution (sum of resolutions of all monitors) because DisplayLink compresses the data to send over USB. My monitors only go up to 1920 x 1200 so its not noticeable. Its probably only noticeable if your doing something intensive. Then would you be doing that on multiple monitors at the same time or only one??? I don't always use both monitors.

Mostly one, I always have both on though. For $140, its not worth it IMO, cause i would still need a SP3 wall charger, which brings it up to $200 anyways. lol.

ChiGGz

I don't like that the dock can't be bent at different angles. You probably won't be able to use the pen like that and you're forced to specific dock placement for ideal viewing angles.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mostly one, I always have both on though. For $140, its not worth it IMO, cause i would still need a SP3 wall charger, which brings it up to $200 anyways. lol.
In six to nine months these will be selling for $99 and the $99 units will be $70 :)